Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 month old STILL nursing all night

Default Re: 5 month old STILL nursing all night

My son is 5 months and does most of his eating at night. It is calm, quiet, and cuddle time. Co-sleeping means i get more sleep (co-sleeping moms report that they sleep better and more than crib or separated mom/baby pairs). It is VERY normal for your baby to still night feed and helps maintain their weight and your supply. Remember, this is but a season of your life and it is over before you know it-for better or worse.
    EBFing my wonderful son, born 12/2010
    We CD, , Natural Birth, and
    Doula in MS/AL/TN tri-state area.
    Homebirth and Midwifery activist

I used to co-sleep after my baby woke up the second time of the night (not earlier, DH sleeps too soundly and I worry about him rolling over on him). Otherwise he was in his swing. He started to try to get out of his swing and we felt it was dangerous so we tried the crib, but he woke up every sleep cycle and sometimes more often. Friends recommended swaddling, which he hated, but I tried it and he sleeps several hours at a time. I stopped co-sleeping because we were up more than asleep (baby and I both) and when he is swaddled he falls asleep after 10-15 minutes of feeding. He wakes 2-3 times a night. My friends sya that I should let him cry it out and he won't wake up, but he is 4 months and I think it is kind of unrealistic for him to not be hungry in the night time. He sleeps pretty well and isn't awake for long. This morning, he wouldn't go back to sleep, but seemed to want to, so I brought him (still swaddled) to bed with me and we cuddled asleep for an hour and a half). I think co-sleeping can be great, but it doesn't work for us. I find he actually sleeps better in the crib, but sometimes needs to sleep near me (either on the couch or in our bed) and he usually needs to be cuddled to sleep. I agree with the PP about the 15 minutes after they seem asleep thing, that really makes a difference in whether DS stays asleep when I put him in the crib.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

It is normal. How often does your lo nurse during the day?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

My DS1 nursed (or took a bottle while I was at work) every 2 hours 24/7 until he was at least 18 months old, and woke at least 2-3 times to nurse at night until he was 2 1/2. I abruptly night weaned him at 2 1/2 because I was pregnant and exhausted. I think he would have still kept nursing at night for a lot longer if I had let him. He continued to nurse until just past his fourth birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    It is normal. How often does your lo nurse during the day?
    I am a SAHM so I still nurse her on demand. Usually about every 1-2 hours! I don't mind the nursing so much at night, it's just the whole process because she's been super gassy since day one. I have to burp and fart her all night which is what is really keeping me up rather than the actual nursing...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*breeze7 View Post
    I am a SAHM so I still nurse her on demand. Usually about every 1-2 hours! I don't mind the nursing so much at night, it's just the whole process because she's been super gassy since day one. I have to burp and fart her all night which is what is really keeping me up rather than the actual nursing...
    I'm not sure if it's any consolation to you right now, but it will get better. The one thing that is a constant about babies is that they are always changing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Smile Re: 5 month old STILL nursing all night

My DD is 4 days shy of being 5 months old. She goes to bed around 9pm (approximately) and (usually) wakes up between 4 and 5 to nurse. We co-slept in the same bed for the 1st 3 months, but neither my husband nor I ever got any sleep. When I had to return to work, after 2 1/2 months, we started to move her into a co-sleeper bassinet attached to my side of the bed. This worked for a little while, but as DD got bigger, she outgrew it quickly! She now sleeps in her own crib, which she prefers, and only cries for a minute or two when she realizes it's not playtime (when her mobile stops spinning). She then knocks out for the night. It's nice to be able to sleep finally. DD nursed/comfort nursed all night long switching from one breast to the other every 45 min to an hour. I know she wasn't getting milk the whole time, she was using me for a pacifier. It was sweet and I didn't mind. When she started to bite and kick and hit and scratch, it was time to move her a little further from me as I was waking up with bruises and scratches on my breast, neck, and face.

Do what you feel is best for you and your LO.