Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old STILL nursing all night

Default 5 month old STILL nursing all night

Hello, my daughter will be 5 months old next week. She's been a very frequent nurser since birth but I thought the night time feeding would ease as she got older. We co-sleep which I thought was a good idea, but I am starting to think this is why she nurses so much, because it's so convenient! She won't sleep in her crib for more than an hour or so before waking up and if I nurse her to sleep, it seems as if she wakes up any time I get out of bed. She goes to sleep at 8:30 so I am having to go to bed when she does and that's a little early for me. She has great poops/pees and her weight is normal. IT's like she can't sleep on her own without my boob....I am just frustrated because I don't know what I am supposed to do to put her to sleep and keep her to sleep for most the night, I don't mind a few feedings but this is ridiculous!! Is this normal for her to continue to do this??

Default Re: 5 month old STILL nursing all night

my 9 month old did/does that too. it gets better for him when he's not teething, learning something new, or overtired (that's how i know he can sleep through the night =]). we co-sleep also... there is no way i'd be up and down all night.

as far as i understand, it's completely normal and not a problem unless you find it to be. if you're desperate for some shut-eye, try "the no cry sleep solution" by elizabeth pantley. it's mostly creating positive associations for your child with sleep and their environment. it can take a while, but there's no real controversy over possible damage like crying it out.

I had to laugh a little bit at the thought of such an OLD baby still nursing all night. 5 months is still so little. And this time is going to pass really quickly and before you know it, it will be gone.

My youngest is almost 5 months old and she's doing the same thing. It's really normal.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with PPs. It's totally normal! My 8 months old still does this, and it's a pain, but I don't really even plan on trying to cut her down until at least another few months have passed.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

thanks, I just wanted to make sure it was normal....do they only sleep when you are laying with them? I need to stop comparing her to my friends babies!

My LO, who is 9 months, will do something like this at night: nurse, then down for bed. I stay next to him until he's out and then leave. He'll then wake up every 45 minutes (every sleep cycle) until one of us actually goes to bed for the night. Then he'll sleep for a few hours in a row (not always) until he wants to nurse next. He does sleep best when one of us (preferably me, but he will tolerate DH) is laying down with him. In fact, he'll reach out to hold onto me or lay a leg on mine in his sleep. So stinking cute, but it can be hard sometimes when I just want some time for myself or with my hubby.

My LO was about like this, and now at 15mo she still wakes up in the night. Now, though, that first stretch of sleep is usually around 2 hrs, so I'm able to get back up out of bed and get a few more things done. (And this morning I even managed to get up before she did and fix breakfast before she woke! )

They do start growing out of it, it just takes longer than society wants us to think it "should"....
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

Another book you might want to look at is [I]Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child[I] by Marc Weissbluth. He discusses the importance of good quality sleep for the entire family, though he would say that a five-month-old baby definitely needs to wake to eat.

He's not an attachment parent, and I don't go to him for breastfeeding advice.

The book is also complicated with lots of information that's not as well organized as it could be. At the same time, it has some very important information in it about normal sleep patterns for children of different ages.

He's not opposed to cry it out, and he does offer alternatives. Sometimes it's hard to see that, though.

The book is really useful for information about day and night sleep and consolidated sleep. If you're really unhappy in your current situation, it might give you some helpful information or useful ideas.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

For all of you who have a baby that is in a position where it seems that they only sleep well when you are next to them, I want to encourage you to give them the 15minute investment. In sleep it looks like this, watch the clock and even if it's seems like your child IS asleep, STILL DO NOT TRY TO GET UP until you have been laying next to them for at least 15minutes. We are still chemically connected to these babies that we breastfeed and co-sleep with. They DO want to be next to you all the time and when they are this young they think we are PART of them. They don't even know yet that they are separate beings. So often what happens is they wake when you try to unlatch them. And you have interrupted the time it will take to get them into a deep enough sleep that they don't quite notice that they you are gone. I know it's hard. ESPECIALLY if you are trying to go do something. But I swear, just giving them 15minutes on the front end can make a real difference. And sometimes it takes 20. But the leaving before the 15minute point EVEN if they have unlatched themselves....it causes more go backs IME. Because even if they unlatch after 10, rolling over and finding you to touch will often give them the confidence to fall into a deep sleep.
    My chemical connection to my son was so deep that often when he was an older baby, like 9-12 months he would STAY AWAKE because I was wide awake and waiting for him to fall asleep. So I needed to calm down, and slow my breathing to match his. They want that ONENESS with us when they sleep. Give it to them for 15 whole minutes every time. See if it makes a difference in the amount of time you can stay AWAY from the room. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

We don't recommend Weissbluth's book on this forum, because we believe that breastfeeding on demand is the best way to maintain your supply (which is still critical at 5 months), and sleep training (the idea that babies don't need any milk at night) runs counter to that basic, cardinal rule. I know Joe nursed frequently at night at that age (he cut seven teeth by eight months, so for him, I think a lot of it was discomfort, and I wish I had started dosing him with tylenol or motrin sooner, because I think he was hurting!). I think some of it was for "comfort" (but I don't think there's anything wrong with a baby wanting comfort from its mother), but also, I think he was hungry sometimes! So I coslept and nursed on demand, which helped me maximize my sleep. Since I was a working mom, it was also my good snuggly time with my baby.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.