Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! Only drops of milk in right breast! Milk can't get out?!? Tried everything.

Unhappy Help!! Only drops of milk in right breast! Milk can't get out?!? Tried everything.

Hello. I have been breastfeeding since my 5 week old was born. Two days after she was born my milk came in fully in both breasts, however my right breast became engorged and when she would nurse only the areola area would soften up (as if no milk was coming out). Two days later, my right breast dropped down to my pre-pregnancy size.

I went for a breast ultrasound to see if there was a block in the nipple and the milk couldn't come out, because the milk came in but just went away. The tech said there was no blockage and it looks like a normal lactating breast (she seemed unsure of what to do when I came there). I have always put her on right side first for at least 10 minutes. I have recently started Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle (4 days now) and am pumping the right (electric double pump Medela) every day for about 20 min per pumping on max pump and only get out about 2-6 drops. There has not been the slightest change in the size of my right breast.

Baby is fine, gaining weight just fine. When she goes on right, she suckles for about 10 minutes before crying, then I switch her to left side. I need to start pumping to save up a supply but don't want to walk around with one boob a DD and the other a B. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Help!! Only drops of milk in right breast! Milk can't get out?!? Tried everything

Are you sure there is no milk on the right side? Breast size alone is not an indicator of lack of milk. Neither is the amount pumped. Some mamas do not respond well to certain pumps, some are the wrong size, or are losing suction, or various other reasons.

Is the baby swallowing while on that side? Some babies are super efficient and if you have a small "holding" capacity (not necessarily low production, just less space to store the milk) then your baby may empty the breast more quickly. Have you tried putting the baby in different positions? Some babies have a side preference and having them in the football hold or side lying position sometimes help keep them on longer.

Since the baby is happy and gaining well then there's no need to worry. Even if the breast is not producing much.

If your concern is more about how to get more from pumping before going back to work, try posting in the pumping forum and you'll get a lot of helpful responses. Try changing the valves and cleaning the pump, or checking if your flanges are the correct size (most women aren't the "standard" size that comes with the pump).
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Help!! Only drops of milk in right breast! Milk can't get out?!? Tried everything

Thanks for your reply. Baby swallows only a few times on right side, mainly just sucking. I know that each breast is different and feels different when full or emptied, but the first 2 days that my milk came in the right breast was nice and full and even with the left. Now I can't even feel the milk glands, wouldn't that be an indicator? I also just bought a new pump, Medela Pump in Style and bought new fitting shields for the pump, too. I have tried all positions and some creative ones as well. ???

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carrib View Post
    Now I can't even feel the milk glands, wouldn't that be an indicator?
    I nursed my DD for 12 month and my DS is still currently nursing at 17 months. I have never felt the milk glands with either of them. So *I* don't think that would be an indication.

Have you seen and LC?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

this isn't an answer, but i did want to let you know that i have the exact same problem. with both of my kiddos, i was so engorged on my right side, but i couldn't get the milk out! i didn't know what to do. baby would nurse, but verrry little would come out and the engorgement would stay. both babies lost more than 10% of birth weight and so i had to start supplementing at the breast from early on. my youngest, i nursed until she was 10 months before af returned and what little milk i had dried up. if you find an answer to this, please let me know! i would REALLY like some direction before we get pregnant again! Thanks!
    Cecelia

Thanks Cecelia, it's good to know that I am not alone. It has been 6 weeks of keeping my LO nursing on my right breast and pumping and I am now giving up. I ate oatmeal and took an entire bottle (about 2 weeks) of blessed thistle and fenugreek and pumped more frequently on the right side to no avail. I don't know if this means anything but my mom said she couldn't nurse on one side also. Hindsight, I think right when my milk came in I should have pumped on my right to see if that would get out anything; at least I would know then if the milk was actually coming, if LO could't get it out, or whatever the problem is. Good luck and I will update you if I find anything out.