Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk???

Default How much milk???

I will be pumping in a couple weeks because I will be returning to work. Can anyone tell me or point me to a resource that informs me how much milk LO should get in each bottle at each age she is at (i.e. - 3 months = 6oz, 4 months = 7oz, etc.)

Thanks!

Default Re: How much milk???

Most breastfed babies don't ever need more than 4 or 5 ounces at a time. In the early months it is closer to 2 or 3 ounces. The general rule is that your baby will need 1-1.5 ounces for every hour that you are separated. Unlike formula, breastmilk changes in composition and becomes more concentrated as your baby gets older, so the volume doesn't increase all that much.

Here is a great resource for calculating how much milk you need.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Agree - 1-1.5 oz per hour. And after four months or so, the total volume doesn't go up. It's pretty magic. Anyway, for me, this meant pumping 3 times in an eight to nine hour stretch away from my baby.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

When I started DS at daycare, he was 2 months old. I tried to give him 2.5 oz bottles, with the instruction to give it to him every 2 hours. They told me that they felt like it wasn't enough food (ugh) and rather than fight too much, I agreed to increase it to 3 oz, as long as they tried to stretch it a little longer than 2 hours. They weren't able to successfully stretch it until last week (he's now 3 months old), so now he's eating 3 oz about every 2.5 hours.

I wasn't planning on increasing the quantity... I don't really know if I'm supposed to either. I don't think so, judging by the milk calculator website.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

I try to think of it in total ounces. My baby gets on average 14oz of milk per day. She gets 4 bottles right now, and when daycare was making noises like they wanted her to have a 5th bottle, I told them fine, but that they would be smaller bottles w/ the same total amount of milk. They left it at 4. She does fine w/ it - she's just teething right now (like, with actual teeth coming in ).
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Babies are different, and breastmilk is different, too.

Some babies will need more than average because they are bigger than average, active, etc. I had to pump and feed my daughter entirely, and she ate so much that I was really worried that I was overfeeding her. The pediatrician was very sensible and told me to fill her bottle and let her drink as much of it as she wanted. She told me that it was okay to save the bottle for the next feeding since the antibodies in breastmilk made it safe. (I don't know if your daycare would have issues with that or not.) This was a liberating and helpful way to feed her. Sometimes she had large feedings, sometimes not. She decided.

Consider your baby's weight and whether he's average, above, or below, and that will help you interpret average amounts that babies should eat.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)