Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this make sense??

Default Does this make sense??

I'm pumping the same amount basically all of the time. I generally pump 2 oz. each session. Doesn't matter what time of day, almost always 2 oz. Once a day I can get 3 oz. And once a day I can get 1.5 oz.

Shouldn't my nighttime pumping sessions be yielding more than my daytime? Especially evening?

I'm confused.

Oh, if it helps to know, my LO is 5 weeks old and I'm BFAR and I only started pumping with increased frequency on Monday.

Default Re: Does this make sense??

What is BFAR? Are you nursing mostly and pumping to supplement/build up a stash, or are you exclusively pumping and feeding EBM in a bottle?

What kind of pump are you using?

Those amounts @ 5 weeks of age sound good. Whether you are getting enough total milk for the day depends on the answers to the above questions

ETA: What is your current pumping regimen? (times, duration, amounts, etc)
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; June 10th, 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: additional info requested
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

BFAR= Breast Feeding After Reduction

I was originally mostly nursing, but DS doesn't transfer milk well. So, to get weight gain going, I'm pumping right now and nursing after pumping. I'm figuring it gives him the nursing he craves, plus can only help my supply.

I don't pump as regularly as I guess I should. I mostly pump every 2-3 hours depending on time of day. Like, overnight, I pump at the 3 hour mark usually and during the day it may be at the 2.5 hour mark. For 2 days I pumped right at the 2 hour mark, but I couldn't tell if that was yielding more or not.

I really want to increase my supply, so I did do a power pumping session this morning and will be doing one each morning for the next few days. Hopefully that will help.

I'm just confused cause it seems like most women get more milk early in the day and less in the evening, but mine isn't really changing...which is new. 3 days ago I was getting 2 oz. only early in the day and getting 1 oz. in the evening. So, YES, I'm happy that I'm getting 2 oz. in the evening now, but I guess I just think I should be getting 3 or 4 oz. overnight and in the morning. Know what I mean?

If your little guy doesn't transfer milk well, it will encourage him more if you have a bigger supply, so kudos to you for pumping. I'd suggest, however, that you should nurse him before you pump because he might find it a more gratifying and noursishing experience.

If I understand how much you're pumping (since you're nursing, too), it sounds like you're doing it frequently enough. Your amounts also sound good to me, especially if your baby is feeding at the breast.

One other suggestion I have, though, is that you might want to consider supplementing at the breast rather than with a bottle. Look into a supplemental nursing system or lactation aid that would allow you to feed him your expressed breast milk while he nurses. It's not easy, but it could be a life-saver in keeping him at your breast and building supply simultaneously.

A pumping in the middle of the night won't necessarily yield more milk, but your body's prolactin is highest between 1 or 2 and 5 a.m., and so a pumping then (I'd recommend it after a nursing) will be helpful in building supply up even more overall.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Most moms do produce more milk at night and in the early morning, but that's not always the case. Your body responds to demand, and can be trained to produce the right amount of milk for a given time of day. It's possible that you have already trained yourself to produce 2 oz regardless of what time of day it is. Keep on with the pumping and power pumping! Hopefully it will give you the results you're looking for.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"