Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fenugreek

Default fenugreek

I need to increase my milk a bit for pumping. I am coming up a bit short and I am freaking out. Even if I add in weekends I will still be too close to be comfortable. I obviously don't want to go into oversupply but I do need help.
    What can you tell me about taking fenugreek? 3 x a day till i smell like maple syrup? I need info.

any other suggestions? I am not a fan of taking anything to increase my milk because I know i really do have enough for my son, I just don't have enough when it comes to pumping everyday for work and i just wont accept going to formula to fill the gap of what i am not getting from pumping.

Thanks

Default Re: fenugreek

You've got it: 3x/day or until you smell like a pancake restaurant. If yu want cheaper, fresher fenugreek than what you get in the pills, I suggest looking for fenugreek seed. You can get a pound for $3-4. Just put a teaspoon of seed in some hot water, drink the resulting tea, and then swallow the softened seed.

While fenugreek and other supplements are nice, IMO they are not generally a substitute for more work with the pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are you doing compressions and breast massage?

I don't know how much time you have at work, but I realized that if I pump a little bit before leaving home (after DD has eaten), after 3 hours my breasts feel like super full, so I can pump after 2.5 hours after I get to the office, and get a good amount. And then every 3 hours.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Ok, so i nurse at about 5:30 am, then pump, get ready for work, nurse, drive todaycare, nurse.

Once at work I pump every 3 hrs. Then when I get him I nurse and nurse.

I do a lot of masage and compressions, smell his shirt, etc.

Ok, so Mommal, what do you mean it its not a substitute for the pump... meaning it wont really help?

I feel like I work hard at pumping, very hard. So hard I feel exhausted.

What should I do.

Supplements are an assist to supply. But when it comes to building supply, they won't get you nearly as far as increasing the frequency and duration of pumping will. Which is a bummer, because it would be nice if just popping a pill or drinking some tea were the answer!

I know you must be exhausted. Take the fenugreek. Hopefully it will give you a huge boost. But if it doesn't get you to where you want to be... Pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

ok. I feel a little better now. once more question... i'll do a search onlin, but where would I get seed?

Online is easy- amazon sells it. But you can also find it in your grocery store, if they have an ethnic foods area. Look for "methi" amongst the Indian spices, or "hilbeh" amongst the Middle Eastern ones.

Thank you.

Ok, so if I do take it, how long do i keep it up for? meaning do I just keep taking it until i'm no longer pumping? or until i feel like i am getting what i need? because wont my supply then drop if i stop taking it?

And does it increase the supply dramatically (i hope not)

Finally, will my body be able to regulate itself easily if i stop taking it?

sorry for all the questions

You could also try power pumping.

Basically, you pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10 and repeat that for a full hour. So 3 sessions of pumping and 3 resting.

Do you have a hands free kit? I always pump more when I was hands free.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

power pumping sounds like a good place to start. Then I can see how my body regulates. Maybe fenugreek as a last resort?

Ill need to power pump on a weekend day...do it in the am you think?