Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF losing its shine

Default BF losing its shine

I am really just looking for a littel advice from past experience. I would really like to continue BF my LO past a year (she is 2 weeks away from her first bday) but am getting frustrated with it. She still nurses 3-4 times during the night and several times during the day (not really sure how many but its still her main nutrition as she hasn't really been eating alot of solids.

Any encouragement welcome!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Default Re: BF losing its shine

Those night feedings wear on you, don't they!?! I know that I night-weaned my first daughter down to 1 feeding per night at around 10 months, and that rejuvenated my positive feelings about nursing. Sometimes all it takes to bring you back to your happy place is to cut out the feedings that bug you the most.

Not everyone wants to nurse a toddler, but I truly think that everyone should at least give it a try. It makes your life so much easier! Baby is sick and won't touch solids? At least she is still getting nutrition from nursing. Baby goes on a food jag and eats nothing but cheerios? No problem, breast milk fills all the gaps in her nutrition. Baby bumps her head, skins her knee, or is popping a mouthful of teeth all atonce? The breast will soothe her.

Breastfeeding is thelazy mama's way...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter is 22 mos now and still nurses at night and sometimes that does wear me down. I'm not a great sleeper anyway and then she wakes me up, but truthfully, there are many benefits including the quick comforting, getting her to nap, just reconnecting throughout the day.

We had many many difficulties our first year and that I think made me want to stick with it because around a year is when it started to get much easier, This last year has been great! And now she says really cute things, too, and gives "soft pats for nummies" and is just so affectionate.

I'm not trying to pressure you into continuing but I am SO glad we stuck with it. I have no idea when she'll wean as she still nurses quite often.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

with what the PPs have already said.
    Maybe cutting back or offering a distraction would help - so it doesn't feel like you are nursing all.the.time. My DD used to nurse when she was bored I thought - when we were busy she'd forget.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thanks to the posts so far. I really want to keep nursing past 1 year, I worked so hard to get here! I am hoping that these feelings will pass. I want to start night weaning but am not sure how to go about it. I am all by myself most nights as my husband is a overnight truck driver so giving her to him is not an option. Any suggestions?

We are and at school

tomorrow, my LO will be one week away from his bday and hes on that same schedule! I seriously cannot count the times he nurses during the day and he wakes up 2-5 times at night... I dont have any wise words to share but just to let you know were on the same boat

my daughter nurses less at night if she isn't right up against me but maybe a foot or two away in bed. I tried talking to her about not nursing at night but all it did was make me talk a minute in the middle of the night before letting her nurse. I wasn't very firm about it and not really wanting her to night wean completely anyway. But maybe if you increase your distance she'd nurse a little less.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

We night weaned using a methos similar to the Dr Jay Gordon method and when we night weaned successfully we did it without dh, just me. I would just hold him and talk to him and always tell him he would get milk in thw morning. He took to it pretty well. He was older than your baby though.

I think around 12 to 15 months was difficult. Ds nursed a lot during that time. After that it just got easier somehow and better. It was a nice time for us to just be together, and a rest from running after him!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

night weaning resource:
    http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

Many moms have felt "rejuvenated" nursing a toddler after doing things like:
    - cutting back on night time nursing sessions
    - moving towards offering solids before nursing
    - establishing nursing manners
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

thanks everyone, I really want to keep going, hopefully if I can cut down on the night time nursing it will help

We are and at school