Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! 6 day nursing strike

Default Help! 6 day nursing strike

DS is almost 14 mon. He was hospitalized last week due to seizures which was very traumatic for him at times. He's also teething badly. His first bottom molars finally erupted and now his top ones are coming in. He won't nurse except once or twice during the night for a couple of minutes. This has been going on 6 day now. It started after he was held down to have an IV put in. He was fasting for an anesthetic so he couldn't nurse for comfort . He hasn't wanted to nurse since unless he's very groggy in the middle of the night and not for long. I don't know if the hospital drama is the cause or if it's teething or what. He just bites me when I offer. I've tried giving him Tylenol and ibuprofen. I'm worried about my supply. I was engorged at first and expressed in the shower. There's no engorgement now. My 4 yr old still nurses on occasion but I'm having trouble finding the time for that since DS needs me all the time right now. The only way I can get him to sleep now is to wear him and walk. The thought that he might be weaning breaks my heart. He's my last baby.
    Last edited by @llli*CuddleBugMommy; June 7th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Default Re: Help! 6 day nursing strike

can you pump once or twice a day? He's been through a lot, but a nursing strike doesn't mean he wont' come back.

My daughter had a nursing strike from the time she was 2 months old until she was 7 months old, so for 5 mos I could only get her to nurse when she was basically asleep. Try to not take it personally when he rejects your offer to nurse, he loves you...
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Have you seen this link on nursing strikes? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html It covers all the ways I know of to get a baby back to the breast. Good luck!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just wanted to send some . We just went through a 3 day strike so I'm feeling your pain. That kellymom link was extremely useful.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog