Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is my pumped milk bad?? :(

Default is my pumped milk bad?? :(

ive noticed when thawing my milk that there are "chunks" floating in the milk, i was just letting it all settle and then squishing them through the bag, (thinking it was just the colder fat in the milk needing a little more help mixing back together). if i let it sit in the water longer there are less "chuncks" to squish helping me lean towards the fat not mixing idea, however, I was just reading another thread that mentioned tasting the milk to see if tasted bad... it started out sweet then had a yucky taste i can still taste about 10 minutes later. My daughter doesnt seem to mind it, at least not that i can tell. is it bad or just normal? i pump 3x a day (about 12-18 oz/day) at work and store in an insulated bag with 2 ice packs until i get home and put in the deep freeze and thaw using hot water in a large cup. i have tried it immediately after pumping and its very sweet with no sourness at all. help!!

Default Re: is my pumped milk bad?? :(

The yucky taste might be excess lipase. You can scald before storing to deactivate the enzyme, but you don't really need to if your baby will still accept it.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

sounds like 2 issues.

1. is the milk cold enough when you freeze it? you'll get chunks if it is freezing/thawing in the freezer.

2. sounds like the off taste is lipase. if she takes it you dont need to worry, there isnt anything bad about the milk, just the taste is off.

i store it in my deep freeze, it was set in the middle setting (4 of 8) so i just cranked it all the way up to 8 to make sure its staying cold enough! wish i didnt have to work so i could just nurse instead of all these pumping issues!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrewandcaylie View Post
    wish i didnt have to work so i could just nurse instead of all these pumping issues!!

I meant is the milk cold enough when it goes in the deep freeze? maybe it needs to go in the fridge for a little

Ahh, ok, yes the milk is very cold before going into the freezer

ok, im not sure then. Is it possibly just not mixing well for some reason? I'd like to hear what others say...

I wouldn't worry about it if your baby takes it fine, but I would consider not freezing the milk you know you are going to use the next day. Milk is better fresh, i.e. used w/i a couple of days of expression and not frozen.

To test for lipase, I would save a small amount of milk for progressively longer periods of time. You can keep milk in the fridge for up to 7-8 days. If you notice the milk getting yuckier and yuckier, to the point where your baby won't drink it, then you know you have lipase.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

The chunks are just fat that's globbed together. It happens to mine sometimes. I don't worry about it. I've never been able to pinpoint a cause for mine either. I usually keep the milk in the fridge for the day -- 12 hours -- and when I make up bottles for the night, I freeze the leftovers, and sometimes they glob up, and sometimes not

Icky taste makes me think of lipase as well.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi thanks for posting this. I have a question in regards to this. So if baby takes the milk just fine....its ok and I dont have to scald it?