Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: birth controll affecting production...Help!

Unhappy birth controll affecting production...Help!

new mom..I am breastfeeding exclusivly and just started birth control pills at 6wks check up..now at 8wks and milk seems to be drying up..previously had enough milk to feed small country so I am worried..I stopped bc pills...will my milk come back..been off for about 5 days now and baby is not getting much...I dont want to give him formula if I dont have to..Help!! Thanks!

Default Re: birth controll affecting production...Help!

What made you think your milk was drying up?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Why bc sooo soon? Have you looked into bf as bc? Are you nursing on demand? With less then 6 hrs between feedings?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*codepink View Post
    Why bc sooo soon? Have you looked into bf as bc? Are you nursing on demand? With less then 6 hrs between feedings?
    Dr said I should. Didnt know bf (breastfeeding) was a form of bc? Yes, nursing on demand about every 1-2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    What made you think your milk was drying up?
    I cannot feel my milk drop like a used to, I could feed him for 30 min, then pump and get about 15 oz of milk every 2-3 hours cycle. now i dont get anything when i pump and he is constantly hungry and gets mad like hes not getting enough

I used to swell up like a balloon and now it barley feels like I have milk....

How many wet and dirty diapers is he having per day? Milk production evens out to meet the needs of your baby, so you stop getting engorged.

Did you mean 15 ounces or 1.5 ounces after each feeding? 15 ounces of milk would be CRAZY oversupply. It's normal for a mom that is nursing all day long to only be able to get 1.5 ounces out after feeding.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You should google bf as bc (nursing amenorrea). It seems to be the healthier way to go and its usuall 98% effective for the first 6 months. But you have to follow the suggestions and not give baby supplements or pacifiers.

As for your milk drying up, your body will even things out a couple times as your baby grows. If your lo is not acting differently then don't worry about it.

Signs that its time to start worrying:
    Urine has a strong smell and color (concentrated)
    Baby has difficulties with bowel movements (constipation)
    Significant drop in dirty and wet diapers.
    Baby stops gaining on its respective who chart curve.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Keep nursing on demand and your milk supply will rebound. Keep an eye on the wet diapers, as long as you get 5-6 per day you don't need to supplement. You can also try eating oatmeal to see if that gives you a little boost.

Breastfeeding alone is not reliable birth control, since different women have their fertility return at different times, despite their nursing patterns. But hormonal birth control does tend to affect the milk supply of a lot of women (not all women, and not all forms of birth control). I chose to use condoms rather than hormonal BC that could potentially harm my supply. What kind of BC were you on? Some have less of an effect than others.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Keep nursing on demand and your milk supply will rebound. Keep an eye on the wet diapers, as long as you get 5-6 per day you don't need to supplement. You can also try eating oatmeal to see if that gives you a little boost.

Breastfeeding alone is not reliable birth control, since different women have their fertility return at different times, despite their nursing patterns. But hormonal birth control does tend to affect the milk supply of a lot of women (not all women, and not all forms of birth control). I chose to use condoms rather than hormonal BC that could potentially harm my supply. What kind of BC were you on? Some have less of an effect than others.

I went on birth control at 6 weeks after both babies. Don't feel bad about that. This is also a prime time for your milk to start regulating, making you feel less full. But it's not that you're not making enough. Just that your body is adjusting to your baby's needs so you're not making too much.

Check out the signs posted by the previous mamas. If everything's good then relax!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post

Watch the diapers! Many moms start out making a lot more milk than their babies need. It's nature's way of making sure the baby gets fed while he or she masters the art of nursing. After a while, production typically declines to match supply pretty closely. This is desirable. Making a lot of extra milk can increase your risk of having plugged ducts or mastitis, and it's a big waste of energy.

That being said, hormonal contraception definitely isn't a good choice for all nursing moms. The combination estrogen-progestin pill (e.g. Ortho-tricyclen or its generic competitors) tend to have a worse effect on supply than the progestin-only mini-pill, but some moms can't even take the mini-pill without having decrease in milk supply.

There are lots of non-hormonal options on the market, and we'll be glad to help you find one that's right for you if you decide the hormonal BC you're using isn't a good fit for you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"