Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vomiting

Default Vomiting

This is driving me nuts. DD2 is loving solids. She wants everything we have. Hands reaching, mouth gaping, she will chew, roll food around, etc.

The problem is that when she gets something with more texture, she vomits. Arrowroot cookies, nutrios (cheerios), etc. or if she doesn't like it (butternut squash, organic yogurt). She starts with gagging and then vomits. Everything comes out. Every.Time.

She'll be 10 months old on Friday and all we've been able to get into her is cereals, bananas and some cheddar cheese. She's considering applesauce. Typically my answer would be "don't worry about it, wait her out, there's no rush". But she wants it, she wants to try more. What are other no / low texture things I can try? I was thinking sweet potato.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Vomiting

:bump
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

very ripe fruits: avocado, papaya, mango, apricot?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Ah - good point. I need to take the avocado I have out of the fridge and put it in a paper bag on the counter. Thanks!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

What about peas? Great finger food.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

watch the ripeness on the avocado--its perfect when its still kind of mushy and juicy and a pretty green. if its mushy but kind of dry it can lead to gagging. btdt
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Sorry, I don't have many suggestions that haven't already been presented, unless you want to just start taking things and pureeing them. Maybe in her case a BLS approach that includes some purees would make more sense? I know that I personally think about getting protein into my DD since otherwise she gets mostly fruits and veggies, so I try to make sure she has meat or beans fairly regularly, and either could be pureed.

Also, I feel for you since my DD has started vomiting occassionally, and I hate it. She does it when she eats too much. For a long time with BLS she tasted everything and did a lot of gumming and spitting food out, which I was fine with. But in the past month she's suddenly started really eating a LOT, expecting food at regular times (and going back to newborn growth spurt-type nursing patterns if a meal is missed), and swallowing everything. Sometimes she eats so much and then wants to nurse afterwards still, and then she'll suddenly vomit on my chest. Poor thing, and yuck. I am sure it is not FA because it is the same foods she has no problem with other times when she eats more moderate amounts. So I am hoping this is a phase that will pass quickly as she learns how to eat, and when she is too full.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I thought I'd update:

Avocado was a bust. She doesn't like it. Lots of gagging and retching.

Yogurt is going okay, but you can tell she's not a fan. Apple sauces (non-sweetened of course) are okay, but she's not thrilled. She really likes arrowroot cookies, but once it gets small enough for her to jam it into her mouth (like half ) she puts it in, chokes and vomits. *sigh*

The goofy thing is her sister dropped a whole-wheat gold fish, she snatched it up and ate it just fine.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

I'm in the same boat you're in!! It can be soo frustrating. I'm still having to do lots of purees with my son and he just turned 1. You could try sweet potatoes - mine gagged on that (I think it was the "stringiness" of it)

He really likes yogurt now. Won't eat applesauce, sometimes bananas, he's getting better with cheerios but still sometimes gags on those.

Very small peas were some of the first things he did really well with. For some reason the skin on those didn't make him gag. He really likes beans too. I try to make sure that they are really soft and in really small pieces. He's also doing pretty well with deli meat (Boars Head chicken and I tear it in real small pieces). I think that's soft enough that he can gum it pretty well and get it down without gagging.

Good luck! Hopefully this will pass quick!
    SAHM to Roman (3/6/09) and Solomon (5/24/10)

Mine stopped doing the vomiting around 14 months. Sometimes he could just look at food and he would vomit.

Have you seen those puree food bags? Mine LOVED those. He would suck them right down out of the package. They also sell them in the applesauce section.

What about 'puffs'? Do those before cheerios. Also single grain rice puff cereal.

They also sell baby goldfish which are smaller.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09