Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constant hunger cues, clicking tongue and hiccups

Default constant hunger cues, clicking tongue and hiccups

Hello all:

I have a 19 days daughter and she seems to be doing good in terms of poops and wet diapers.
    I'm feeding her every three hours during the day and at night we usually have two rounds of 4 hours.

My problem is the latching, she drinks good, but makes a clicking sound with the tongue pretty often and my guess is that she's not latching propertly and therefore getting a lot of gas. Does anybody know how to get rid of that clicking?

Also, she feeds between 8 and 15 minutes in each breast and she pulls over, but many many times she keeps giving hunger cues and crying for a while, but if I put her in the breast again she would use it as pacifier. And when I offer the pacifier, she doesn't want it. What do I do?

The last thing is that she has hiccups almost 6 or 7 times a day and it last for around 5 to10 minutes. Some times they bother her and I don't know how to get rid of them or help her.

I appreciate your help ladies. I'm an already exhausted first time mother without much clues about doing it right.

Default Re: constant hunger cues, clicking tongue and hiccups

Hi, and

My daughter clicks too - was worse @ first, but better now. In her case, I think it is because of my over-active letdown. Does your milk spray out when she unlatches? Does she cough/choke/sputter during feedings? I've heard that the clicking is caused by her trying to cope w/ the fast flow of milk.

If your baby wants to nurse, nurse. Don't try to limit time at the breast. It is normal for a baby to become more efficient @ the breast, but babies have sucking needs beyond what is strictly necessary for nutrition. Don't worry about her "using" you as a pacifier. Babies don't have hidden agendas or ulterior motives. When they are little, they need to suck. When she gets older, she will get better at self-soothing, and she will be more interested in the outside world and so will be more interested in toys and rattles and such.

Hiccups are normal. Nothing to do for them - don't worry about them.

Congrats on your baby! It sounds like you are doing an awesome job!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post

Don't worry about her "using" you as a pacifier. Babies don't have hidden agendas or ulterior motives. When they are little, they need to suck. When she gets older, she will get better at self-soothing, and she will be more interested in the outside world and so will be more interested in toys and rattles and such.
    yeah a pacifier isnt really necessary and its so different from the breast she might not be interested, my doc sais they are given to FF babies so they can do they sucking they dont get from the bottle? or sth like that... but i personally think no pacifier is best

I think I do have fast flow, but not enough for her to cough or chock. And she does the click with the tongue even at the end of the feeding, where the flow is already slow.

Now to add to the stress, she's not opening the mouth as much as before making latching more difficult and she's super sleeppy. Some times I try everything possible and still no result.

Has she been checked for tongue tie? Sometimes that can cause the clicking during nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I asked the pediatrician in the two weeks appointment and she told me her tongue was fine. But she keeps doing it in every feeding.