Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Actively Weaning

Default Actively Weaning

Am I the only one? Lu and I are down to one session a day (5 or 6am) and I'd like to know how others closed the book on the last nursing session. I have no issues it it continues for a while, I just want ideas for when the time comes.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: Actively Weaning

Nah, you're not the only one. I'm really struggling with it here...I have a thread too.
    Mine is the going to sleep session that she doesn't want to give up - except we had a breakthrough last night and she didn't ask But I'm sad at the same time.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I actively weaned Lilah when I was pregnant and I feel like I did it faster than I should have.

I replaced the morning wake up session with something exciting and new to eat for breakfast.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I have come to the realization that I may be nursing a kindergartener one day.

My goal is on or before age 3, so really the 5/6am session is ok for now. I hope by then she will be ok with just snuggling.

ETA: Tracie that's what happened with K too so I'm taking a slow and steady approach with Lulu

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I'm actively weaning, as well. We're not dropping the last session just yet, but each of the drops has been my move, and I'm pretty sure the last one will be as well. I have been trying to gauge when he's in a place to accept it, though, so I guess he is participating a bit in the process. But mostly, it's me. I love the idea of not asking, not refusing, and that's pretty much what I do, except that I don't think he will stop wanting before I am ready to stop nursing.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post

My goal is on or before age 3, so really the 5/6am session is ok for now. I hope by then she will be ok with just snuggling.

ETA: Tracie that's what happened with K too so I'm taking a slow and steady approach with Lulu
    This is how I plan on going with Trixie as well. I wish that I had realized earlier in the pregnancy with Lilah that I would reach the point where I just couldn't do it anymore and weaned over three or four months instead of 3 weeks.

I mean, if I decide to actively wean. I don't know how it will go.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

The night was Wade's last feeding and one night he fell alseep withot it and then the next and next.. The other day he asked to nurse again and he latched on and then popped off.. So honestly it was super gradual..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I have come to the realization that I may be nursing a kindergartener one day.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think I'd like her to wrap up on her own by 4, but I don't know of she will do it without actively weaning. or even wean without active weaning. She's all about T. She said this morning "I want T. I Loooove mommy's T. Milk tastes like sugar."
    I love hearing what kids say about nursing!

Your timetable is exactly mine. Sometime during age three or by age four.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avery.mom View Post
    The night was Wade's last feeding and one night he fell alseep withot it and then the next and next.. The other day he asked to nurse again and he latched on and then popped off.. So honestly it was super gradual..
    This is exactly what my dream is. How did you feel about the way it went? And would you have allowed it to go this way if you reached your sort of cutoff point and he wasn't quite ready yet?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

[QUOTE=@llli*duckpond;1148237

This is exactly what my dream is. How did you feel about the way it went? And would you have allowed it to go this way if you reached your sort of cutoff point and he wasn't quite ready yet?[/QUOTE]

I struggled with it, more emotionally ( my last baby). But otherwise it felt so wonderful to let him decide for himself. He still askes to nurse but he doesn't when I offer.. We snuggle alot at night now before bed. It was so gradual and smooth.. I feel so lucky.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones