Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could Use Some Feedback--Overwhelmed!

Default Could Use Some Feedback--Overwhelmed!

Hi! I have been reading up on this forum for the last week or so, and thought I would finally come out of the shadows and post myself...

I'm a first-time mom to my DD, who was born 3 weeks ago Wednesday, at 35w6d... She was tiny (still is) and due to preterm issues the folks at the hospital basically told us that breast-feeding was going to be a challenge. From the first week, we were spoonfeeding our little girl whatever I could pump, as she would get very frustrated at trying to latch, and her weight dropped to the 10% mark. Our ped was concerned that she might have a tight frenulum, and so we met with the LC at the practice, who suggested we use a nipple shield for the time being, as well as supplementing and pumping (which i started in the hospital).

As soon as we got the shield, DD stopped taking supplements and started gaining, and she has developed a much better suck-swallow pattern than the beginning. The problem is that I am finding myself getting paranoid about using the shield--I stopped pumping because I was getting WAY too much milk that way for my little girl, and she was sputtering on the shield to keep up, but now I freak out that she isn't getting enough, and worry that she might never get off the shield, or that it will kill my supply. And whenever she changes her eating pattern--like today, when she has been eating every 1.5-2 hours, as opposed to every 2-3--I am freaking that it is because I am not producing enough milk for her... I know that I am almost certainly overreacting (she has COPIOUS wet/poopy diapers and is gaining weight) but HOW do I get myself to calm down? And does anyone have any suggestions for working on getting her off the shield?

Default Re: Could Use Some Feedback--Overwhelmed!

Hi mama. and congrats on your LO!

I only have a few seconds to answer right now, but the increased eating sounds like a growth spurt. Her eating more often doesn't mean you don't have enough milk, it just means she is trying to tell your body to make even more.

Second, you should visit the preemie forum here. There is a lot of good info about all the issues that you bring up in your post: delayed feeding at the breast, nipple shields, pumping etc. and how to combat those issues.

Good luck!!!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

just watned to say that if wearing the shiled is working for you you shouldnt be paranoid and think you wont be able to wean your LO from it, I used a shield for nearly the first three months and then weaned DS off of it succesfully, it takes a while if they get used to it tho

I used a shield for three months with no problems at all. Alot of people have negative feelings because the older shields would impair milk transfer and milk supplies would drop. This doesn't happen as often with the newer shields. They are designed differently and made from diferent materials. You are doing a great job mama.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

The only way I eventually managed to calm down was to focus as much as possible on the reassuring wet/poopy diaper count. If it's okay and the poop looks normal, then you and baby are ok, end of story
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    The only way I eventually managed to calm down was to focus as much as possible on the reassuring wet/poopy diaper count. If it's okay and the poop looks normal, then you and baby are ok, end of story
    this is what i had to do too :-) I was so worried in the beginning and I finally thought that the baby has to be getting something if it's coming out the other end. And as long as what was coming out (wet & poopy diapers) was the right amount then she was fine! Now, don't think I felt this way overnight! It took me almost 3 months before I felt confident in my supply and felt that when my DD nursed on demand, she was getting as much milk as she needed :-)

I don't have any experience with the shield, but one way to look at it is it is helping you feed your baby at your breasts :-) I'm sure it's inconvenient but it's probably less inconvenient than pumping and giving bottles every feeding. I'm sure you'll be able to wean her when you feel the time is right. Don't stress mama! Enjoy this time with your LO! it truly does go by way too fast :-)
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

Just wanted to say thanks to the PP for their insight-- I checked out the preemie forum, and it does have some interesting info... although I have found it is difficult to find info about late preterms, which from all I can tell is very different from a preemie. My LOs problems, if you want to call them that, really are limited to feeding issues at this point--her mouth is still a little small, and she's a sleepy baby, but otherwise she is doing really well, putting on weight and dirtying her cloth diapers like crazy.

I will try to be patient I guess... That seems to be the most important thing at this point--remember how far she's come in this short time and trust that she will keep moving forward when she's ready.
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

Congratulations on your new little one. It sounds like she is doing great.

Yes, keep focusing on those wet and soiled diapers. They tell you what's going on.

It is possible to wean from a nipple shield. I don't know exactly what the issues are because of your little girl's small mouth, but if the shape of the nipple is a problem, sometimes it can work to start nursing with the shield, and during one of the little breaks she probably takes, pop it off and give her "naked nipple time" (what my LC called it). This helped my son make the transition.

She's still really young, so I wouldn't panic too much about its being a long-term issue. Remember that your first and most important goal is to feed your baby, even if that means putting a little silicone on top of your nipple to help for right now.

I am a newbie also to this, my LO in 6 weeks I just wanted to share my experience with a nipple shield and give some words of encouragement. I like you was concerned with using a nipple shield and that my LO was not getting enough or that my milk supply was diminshing, she went through a period of non-stop feeding, she nursed ALL THE TIME! lol and it does pass what helped me was a piece of paper I kept with me for a daily log bc as new mom with little sleep days and things all mesh together and when I would feel anxious I would count up my wet /dirty diapers and it helped reassure me that she was getting enough. It also helped me when I saw on here to put 2-4 tablespoons in a diaper to feel how wet it should be
    Also I used my shield from when she was 3 days old due to problems. I was so happy to just be breastfeeding her I didnt care about the nipple shield. As time wore on and she became more active it because more challenging to keep that thing on my boob and get her to it before she knocked it off...I needed more hands! After a while I tried to wean her off letting her start with it and then taking it off mid feeding and she would last a little while and then start crying and tugging and I just put it back on. I got to the point I said oh well and didnt try all to much, I just took it away occansionally. Well one day out in public she knocked it off and as i went to pick it up. Smack she attached herself and we have not used one in a week. Im sure everyones experince is different and some harder than others but give it time and dont get stressed with it you are doing awesome!!! It is better than giving her a bottle or not breastfeeding at all. As long as she is growing and enough dirty/wet diapers you are doing great. Two things to keep in mind is LO's espically ones early ones have little mouths when they get bigger its easier for them to latch and also with the new nipple shields there is not as much concern for supply and milk transfer issues because they are so different and softer than older ones.
    Sorry this is so long and all the typos (im on my phone and tend to ramble) but I learned to tell myself THIS TOO WILL PASS AND IT WILL GET BETTER. and i promise it does!!
    keep up the good work!!!