Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating too much?

Default Eating too much?

Is it possible for a 10 month old to be eating too much solid food? Lake overeating? I feed my daughter lunch and dinner (she still gets most of her food and nutrition through nursing, she just loves finger foods) and shell eat a lot of food in one sitting. Shell eat like two full rice cakes and half of a banana or a whole apple, like a good amount of food. I dont know if shes just a hungry little girl or if its possible that she might actually be overeating. Should I cut back on the solids (I keep giving her food til she no longer seems interested)? Or just let her eat as she pleases. Its always healthy foods, rice cakes, fruits, vegetables, little meatballs made from potato and ground beef, she never eats sweets or anything. I just need some advice since I really dont know much at all about how babies should eat other than what foods they can and cant eat.
    Proud mommy to Jade Abigail born 07/23/10 7 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches.
    and just in case
    at all times and every single night

Default Re: Eating too much?

There's a real variety of eating patterns when it comes to babies who are starting solids. Some will eat a huge amount, other barely anything. The key is to nurse first (thereby maximizing breast milk intake), only offer healthy solids, and trust the baby. Breastfeeding is supposed to help children learn to recognize their own satiation cues... So you just have to trust your baby to eat as much as she needs, and no more.

As long as she is nursing at least 5-6 times a day, I wouldn't cut back on solids. If less than that, I would consider it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She definitely is still nursing 5 to 6 times a day. Thanks for the tip about nursing her first, Ill definitely start that. My daughters always been a pretty big girl (97th percentile for height and weight since she was like a month old) so I figure shes just gonna eat a lot cuz of that. Thanks for reassuring my initial thoughts
    and just in case

yup and as long as shes not have troubles going poop it sounds like she is doing fine.

Shes been having some issues with poop, she manages to get it out though, she just has to push a little extra and she doesnt push out that much. I started giving her water in a sippy cup to try to help with that problem though
    and just in case