Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: no bowel movement -4 days

Default no bowel movement -4 days

Our baby daughter, 11 weeks old, hasn't had a bowl movement for 4 days. She's only breastfed. She normally has 2 to 3 bowl movements per day. Is this a cause for concern? She doesn't seem to be upset in any way but we're not sure how long is normal...

Default Re: no bowel movement -4 days

Some breastfed babies can go a week to 10 days without pooping. As long as she's gaining enough weight, I wouldn't worry.
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.jen View Post
    Some breastfed babies can go a week to 10 days without pooping. As long as she's gaining enough weight, I wouldn't worry.
    As long as when she does poop it's soft and yellow and seedy normal BF poop. My LO started pooping every 5 or 6 days right around 6 weeks old. If she seems to be in pain or pooping hard nuggets I'd give your pedi a call otherwise totally normal.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

i think its cause colostrum acts like a laxative and babies poop a lot during the first few days or weeks, after than they slowly poop less and lesss, like pp said its normal for them to go even 10 days without pooping at some age... i just dont remember when that is! but dont think your LO is constipated, cause its normal and BM never gets them constipated (formula does) as long as the poo is soft, she has enough wet diapers and she doesnt seem uncomfortable shes gonna be ok. youll miss these days when she starts solids and poops more often

As long as baby is otherwise well, is being fed on demand, is peeing enough, and is gaining weight, there's no reason to worry unless:
    - she goes over a week without pooping
    - she is in discomfort when she poops (crying, screaming)
    - she is straining or turning red when she poops
    - the poop is hard, pellet-like, or rolls off the diaper when it finally does come out
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She finally pooped twice today. ..not much...so I'm expecting a big one tonight!! Thanks for your advice!!

Don't you feel so silly after the fact? lol I remember freaking out a few times only to end up getting pooped on.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angelaysarah View Post
    She finally pooped twice today. ..not much...so I'm expecting a big one tonight!! Thanks for your advice!!
    Very good! I remember the first time my LO went that long she had soooo much poop the first time and then after that she'd just have a normal size poop every few days or so. I like to think she's just using up ALL the milk and there's not much left to poop out
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together