Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long should she be eating?

Default How long should she be eating?

LO is 2 weeks old today (but arrived 9 days past her EDD), we are EBFing and it's actually starting to go ok. Lots of pain at first and then she wanted to eat FOREVER (seriously- sometimes up to 45 min at a time). Now, however, we've seemed to gradually get down to her eating around 10-15 minutes at a time before she passes out into a food coma and won't wake up. Is that normal? She's having the same amt of wet/dirty diapers and my breast feels softer after we're done. I'm just worried that she's not getting enough since she's eating for so much less time than previous.

I should probably just be happy and not worry about it, huh? :-)

Default Re: How long should she be eating?

Welcome and congrats on yur baby! 9 days past EDD is actually not overdue- I have read that the average gestation time for a first-time mom is exactly 41 weeks, 2 days! So you were really almost exactly on time, using that standard.

As long as your baby continues to have adequate wet and poopy diapers, there is no reason to worry about the relatively short feedings. Babies get better at nursing as time goes on, and by a few months old, many babies can get a full meal in under 10 minutes at the breast.

Again, normal diaper output = nothing to worry about.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for your reply. I've never done this before, so I guess I'm a little neurotic (ok I'm a little neurotic by nature anyway). Just want to be sure that all is well!

I know 9 days isn't really overdue (and that's what I kept telling everyone else), but it certainly felt like it at the time! Just glad she's here and healthy now.

Thanks again.

Yeah, don't worry . Babies get very efficient at emptying your breast. My LO empties it in less than 5 minutes .
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

my Lo would want to nurse for stretches of 3 to 6 hours as a newborn, he had FINALLY latched so i didnt have the heart to unlatch him... i think it was mostly comfort sucking tho, so maybe shes getting better at sucking and its comfort sucking?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkylucy View Post
    my Lo would want to nurse for stretches of 3 to 6 hours as a newborn, he had FINALLY latched so i didnt have the heart to unlatch him... i think it was mostly comfort sucking tho, so maybe shes getting better at sucking and its comfort sucking?
    It could be comfort sucking when she nurses for so long. My DD would nurse for 40 minutes each session. She would fall asleep for an hour, wake up and repeat :-) I felt like i had a baby permanently attached to my boob! But their feeding patterns do change alot. Especially in that newborn period! When she has a growth spurt she'll probably pick up the long feedings again. And then when she's teething, more nursing! And when she is learning to sit up, more feeding :-) you get the idea!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!