Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood blister?

Default Blood blister?

My nipples have been super sensitive for a while. Sometimes only when G nurses for a long time other times throughout the whole session.

They feel bruises or even raw. It hurts and its a nails on the chalkboard uncomfortable feeling.

Today I noticed a dark area on my left side that looks a bit like a blood blister! Nothing on the right abd that aide hurts too (but maybe not as much).

I can't figure out the cause and I don't know what to so about it. It's making me want to wean though. Or at least dread every nursing session. Even the thought of a shirt rubbing on them makes me want to cry.

I pulled out my all purpose nipple ointment that my OB prescribed me a while back. Maybe that will help. If it is a blister I saw what can I do about it?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Blood blister?

I had a blood blister like that once and it hurt just like you are describing.

I ended up popping it. It felt soooooooo much better after I did.

Let me find the discussion it.

Yes, popping it took eggs of steel.

ETA:

Here it is: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...hlight=blister

Mine went on for a long time. I would just get the needle and pop it. Honestly, popping it didn't really hurt. It was more freaky. I put Neosporin on it for a while after that just to make sure I didn't get an infection.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; June 5th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

thanks, I don't know if I have the guts to pop it! But it's really painful... so that might persuade me.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I know. Just lock yourself in the bathroom and do it. Seriously, my pain was totally gone once I did it.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I'm also struggling with a lot of pain nursing lately, but I don't have anything visible like a blood blister - my areola just feels raw and bruised and tender. I think it must be Joe's crappy lazy latch (not helped by the 2-yo-molars that are coming in right now). Anyway, I feel your pain, I've been thinking (sadly) maybe it's just time to wean, nursing is really hard now, and there's only so much martyrdom I can take. But I really don't want to quit because it hurts, I want to quit because we're ready to quit!

I hope you can pop that blister and get back to fun nursing sessions!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.