Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk when LO goes to the babysitter....

Default Breastmilk when LO goes to the babysitter....

So in a week I have to return to work so I wanted some insight, suggestions, recommendations, comments, etc. about some questions I have:

**How should I organize my milk for the sitter each day? Should I use my frozen stock and whatever I pump at work, freeze when I get home? So it would be like rotating it each day???

**How much milk should I send to the sitter each day? If I use frozen milk is it easiest to thaw it out in the fridge the night before and take it to the sitter in the bags or bottles?

**If I try to pump at work at least every 3 hours when possible should I be ok on my supply?

**I heard that my supply will probably decrease when I go back to work, do you think this is true? I am currently pumping at least every 2-3 hours if my LO does not latch on (during the day she prefers the bottle and in the mornings, evenings, and night she latches on).

Thank you so much for any help you can give

Default Re: Breastmilk when LO goes to the babysitter....

Hi mama,

**How should I organize my milk for the sitter each day? Should I use my frozen stock and whatever I pump at work, freeze when I get home? So it would be like rotating it each day???

When I pumped and was working FT, I would give my LO frozen milk on Mondays. I would freeze what I pumped on Fridays and rotate it that way.

**How much milk should I send to the sitter each day? If I use frozen milk is it easiest to thaw it out in the fridge the night before and take it to the sitter in the bags or bottles?

The general guidelines are 1 oz to 1.5 oz of ebm for every one hour you are gone. This includes your commuting times.

I thawed my milk in the fridge overnight and sent my sitter bottles that were already prepared. She just warmed them up.

**If I try to pump at work at least every 3 hours when possible should I be ok on my supply?

I pumped 3X a day and was gone for 9 hours. I think your plan sounds reasonable.

**I heard that my supply will probably decrease when I go back to work, do you think this is true? I am currently pumping at least every 2-3 hours if my LO does not latch on (during the day she prefers the bottle and in the mornings, evenings, and night she latches on).

I suppose anything could happen. I never had much of a problem, but I was diligent about pumping at work and rarely if ever skipped a session. I also coslept and nursed all night long to maintain my supply.

I don't think that having a massive supply decrease is inevitable. I think you can maintain it with work. I did.

HTH!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

You only need to send about 1.5 - 1 oz of bm for every hour you are away. I'd start off on the higher end and see how it goes. So if you are gone for 8 hours, including travel time, I'd send 12 oz in 3 or 4 bottles. If she consistently takes less, you can start sending less. My dd never took more than 9 with me being gone 9 hours, but for the first couple of months I'd send 12 or so.

I sent fresh milk, pumped the previous workday, on Tues-Thursday (I work at home on Fridays). On Thursday, I would freeze what I pumped that day. On Monday I'd take the oldest frozen milk out. I didn't want to send frozen milk all the time because freezing kills the live immune cells in the milk.

You can do this mama! I found pumping helped me miss my baby less at work in the beginning.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    You only need to send about 1.5 - 1 oz of bm for every hour you are away. I'd start off on the higher end and see how it goes. So if you are gone for 8 hours, including travel time, I'd send 12 oz in 3 or 4 bottles. If she consistently takes less, you can start sending less. My dd never took more than 9 with me being gone 9 hours, but for the first couple of months I'd send 12 or so.

I sent fresh milk, pumped the previous workday, on Tues-Thursday (I work at home on Fridays). On Thursday, I would freeze what I pumped that day. On Monday I'd take the oldest frozen milk out. I didn't want to send frozen milk all the time because freezing kills the live immune cells in the milk.

You can do this mama! I found pumping helped me miss my baby less at work in the beginning.
    Thanks so much ladies, this does help!!