Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pain and LO refusing one breast

Default pain and LO refusing one breast

Yesterday Will refused my right breast. My left breast got really "tired" yesterday evening and I refused to nurse him on it anymore, but he would only nurse the right one for a few seconds even then. This morning I woke up with a pain in the top of my right breast. Not sharp, stabbing, like thrush, but more like a dull ache. He is refusing the right breast again today. Any ideas?
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Default Re: pain and LO refusing one breast

Clogged duct? Is there a tender, swollen area? Is it red?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

There is definitely a tender area but it is not swollen or red. I "tricked" him into taking the right breast when he woke last night and was half asleep but even then he pulled away after a few seconds, shaking his head. Oh, man, I am not looking forward to nursing him all on the left this weekend!
    Working mom to

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

My first thought is also clogged duct. Sometimes a clogged area can produce milk that tastes kind of salty, and some babies refuse it on that basis. Do you have a pump? Draining the breast thoroughly with the pump may restore the normal taste.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also maybe try massaging it in a nice hot bath? The warm water helps to break up clogs.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I massaged it ( I gave my pump away) and it worked. Gosh, three kids and I never had a plugged duct until the last one was 20 months old
    Working mom to

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wvmom View Post
    I massaged it ( I gave my pump away) and it worked. Gosh, three kids and I never had a plugged duct until the last one was 20 months old
    Well, some kids will really "strike" or strike against one breast, where other kids wouldn't, you know? Sorry you had to go through this, but I'm glad you're feeling better!

You can call me JoMo!