Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing strike?

Default Nursing strike?

For the past two days Elena has just lost all her gusto for nursing during the day/when she's awake. She nursed well last night and the night before and during naps. This is in contrast to this week where she was nursing very often, eating food well, etc. Now it seems her appetite is just low in general. She does not ask to nurse at all. If she seems interested and I offer, she sucks weakly or not long enough for let down. I got her to nurse and fully drain my boobs today during her two naps (9:30ish, 1:30ish) so I'm feeling comfortable...does it sound like this is something temporary? If she's nursing those two times at least and also at night 3-4 times, do I need to worry about my supply?)

Possible issues: she's been pulling at her ears a lot (but no fever), could be teething her 1 yr molars (she's loving the pacifier, and cold teething rings). AF seemed like it wanted to come back last week (sore nipples, headaches, crampiness, but nothing! not preggo b/c just went to gyno and got the all clear week before last)

Also, her wets are ok, and yesterday she had a big poop and nursed very well after that (awake). so i also wonder if its something digestive going on?

it is discouraging going from predictable eating patterns (i probably jinxed myself, i recently posted our routine ) to her not being interested at all. or not enough to wait for a let down, which is even worse. I'm considering taking her in to the pedi tomorrow to rule out ear infection.

I can't talk to any friends or family about it, b/c I know they are going to tell me, well she MUST be weaning. At the most she's only wanted to drop her first am feeding, and now she's dropping them left and right Maybe I just need a hug
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Default Re: Nursing strike?

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I bet she is coming down with something. Definitely keep an eye out for fever, etc., tonight. The only times Joe has suddenly refused the breast like what you describe, he had an ear infection or sore throat, so nursing was uncomfortable. Otherwise, yes, he has tapered off his nursing slowly, but no strikes. I bet poor little Elena is not feeling so well ...

As far as the teething, have you tried dosing with motrin? Does she express more interest when on pain relievers? I figure if it's teething, it usually responds well to meds. Not so with a bad sore throat or ear infection, where medication may help, but often the strike persists.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I did dose 2x today--at 7am and 1pm, but the times she nursed well after that she was asleep she had opportunity to nurse at 3,4,5 for example and she tried but didnt stay on long. a few times she seemed mad/agitated too like she wanted milk but not enough to work a bit for it.

When I squeeze too, I get a few drops and squeeze harder and I can get streams that can hit the wall! So its not like its nothing while she's working. I wonder how much she actually gets if she stays on for a minute or two, and I hear swallowing, but its still before letdown.

I will watch her tonight definitely!
    Christine
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    I did dose 2x today--at 7am and 1pm, but the times she nursed well after that she was asleep she had opportunity to nurse at 3,4,5 for example and she tried but didnt stay on long. a few times she seemed mad/agitated too like she wanted milk but not enough to work a bit for it.

When I squeeze too, I get a few drops and squeeze harder and I can get streams that can hit the wall! So its not like its nothing while she's working. I wonder how much she actually gets if she stays on for a minute or two, and I hear swallowing, but its still before letdown.

I will watch her tonight definitely!
    I would say bug or teething. Just roll with it and watch for other symptoms. You and your lo will be fine. Its pretty much unheard of for babies to self wean before 2 without some other factor (like pregnancy).
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

My DS has been doing the same thing--except I know he's sick. He had croup (which is what brought me to the doc--scary!!!!!), and the pedi also found an ear infection. He had no symptoms of the infection. The fever didn't hit until he started on antibiotics for the ear infection. Sorry!

His appetite is starting to return--he's been eating very little for the last couple days. He definitely preferred to nurse and has lost a lot of interest in solids. He's even started waking at night again which is unusual for him.

joey4mom, croup thats scary!! glad that appetite is coming back. we had similar issues (turning down solids, preferring nursing) when she had roseola a few months back. it took a week to get back to normal. codepink-thanks for the

just an update. she was so/so eating her solids for dinner. she nursed at bedtime/asleep for like 30 mins straight but not enough to trigger letdown? i might also have been worked up/anxious about it thereby preventing it (i hate that). she kept pulling her ear constantly, not wanting to sleep. ears? no fever, but she's been dosed all day on ibuprofen...Gave her over to DH so I could get ready for "bed"/aka all nighter with sick baby. she freaked out like i was abandoning her, no mama!! she worked herself up so much she nursed properly finally (like they do after they fall, or get a shot, like relief!) More ear tugging. So trip to pedi tomorrow I think!
    Christine

Back from pedi--guess what? an ear infection! Jomo, you were right on! Relieved since it is treatable...but she cries when meds have to be taken to the point of almost vomiting BUT at least she can get back to nursing normally. Since taking the meds her latch/sucking has started to get a little stronger so that is promising. Thanks everyone for your support/comments
    Christine

Ugh, I hate to be right about something like that!!! But I'm glad it's a treatable, temporary thing. Joe HATES antibiotics too. It's awful, a two person job just getting them into him. But then they do work fast, so that part is a big relief.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Its ok, I was like, huh i felt HAPPY when the pedi was like yeah, ear infection, next. Just so much better to know something can be fixed, as opposed to teething which is like, well just deal. 2 person job is right. This is DH when he hears about it later
    He thinks she's going to hate him and not love him for holding her down, bless his heart. I remind him I'm holding the syringe/spoon!
    Christine

I was silently following this theread, Im glad Elena is better!