Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Suggested dosage of herbs...

Default HELP! Suggested dosage of herbs...

Long story short I've come to the conclusion that my issue with BFing my first child is due to insufficient glandular tissue. I've done some research as to what herbs will best help once I give birth to my 2nd. I'm due the 25th of June and I'm trying to get answers as to how much the suggested dosage is on the list of herbs I have here to take. I've already started taking goats rue about a week and a half ago, I just take the suggested amount on the bottle. Since the other herbs I have aren't specifically bottled for milk supply i was curious as to how much I should take. I hope you ladies can help me out!

Saw Palmetto?
    Shatavari?
    Fennel?
    It would be helpful if you could tell me the MG I should start out taking since I purchased them in capsule form, thank you!

I also have the "More milk special blend" and the Mothers Milk tea...

Default Re: HELP! Suggested dosage of herbs...

Check out the stickie above for The Breadtfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk. The links to the web site include dosages for Satavari and Fennel ( I don't remember Saw Palmetto being there).

Default Re: HELP! Suggested dosage of herbs...

I increased my production by about 30% with herbs. I took fenugreek capsules 610mg 3 at a time, 3 times a day until I finished an entire bottle. Since then I have been able to maintain it with pumping/nursing. You can buy it at Whole Foods or Amazon. I read about the dosage in The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk and I also asked the LC which said it was fine. Also Dr. Jack Newman said you have to take enough of it until you smell like fenugreek (maple syrup). I did smell like maple syrup the entire time but I haven't had to supplement with formula since. I was supplementing 2 meals a day for my 1mo old. I also read that if production later dips you can take fenugreek again to bring it back up so I plan on doing this when I return to work in a few weeks.