Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vacation supply

Default Vacation supply

When my son is 12 weeks old, we are going to a weekend family reunion (Thursday morning to Sunday afternoon). Neither I nor my family would be comfortable with me nursing 'in front of' everyone, and I don't want to miss visiting.

I would like to nurse at night and bottle-feed expressed breast milk during the day. Would skipping 4 daytimes at that point damage my supply? Wow, it seems a lot longer typed out than it did in my head... Maybe I should ask, how many feedings per day could I bottle-feed at that point without causing problems (1-2 / day maybe) ? (This is just for that one weekend: I would resume on-cue nursing when we get home.)

Default Re: Vacation supply

with PP.

I'm wondering if it would actually save you any visiting time, since you'd have to pump every time you fed him in order to keep giving your body the message that you need milk at that time, and it might be quicker/less work to just go somewhere quiet and nurse.

I hope you get it figured out and enjoy your family reunion.

It would definitely be quicker and easier to nurse than to pump, but I was hoping that for at least 1-2 feedings per day I wouldn't have to do either one. Bottle feeding all day is not my only option, it was just my preferred option; but it sounds like it's not feasible so no biggie.

Last weekend, my sister got married and I was the matron of honor. I was really really really worried about feeding my DS too (also 12 wks old). I'm okay with NIP, but the logistics of it were killing me (I'd be unavailable for some of the day and I'd be in a dress that wasn't BFing-friendly). I had myself so stressed out...

...and then when the weekend actually came, everything worked out wonderfully! With all of the people and excitement, DS didn't eat as frequently as usual because he was happy being entertained by everyone. I only had to feed him right before the wedding and then half-way through the reception. I had bottles just in case he needed to eat when I was away from him getting pictures taken - but he wasn't interested.

I just wanted to share, because hopefully something similar will happen to you. Obviously your son is going to eat, but maybe it won't be as bad as you are expecting! Good luck and have fun!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)