Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He's not emptying me and still hungry

Default Re: He's not emptying me and still hungry

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*annalog View Post
    Awesome information. Very surprised at the success of using a chiropractor! I am going to talk to a 2nd lc soon, get her input. The 1st one suggested the cranio-facial expert, but really wasn't sure what was going on so I didn't do anything with that. I'm sure I'll have some questions - please keep an eye on this post!
    I'm glad to be of help.

I just have to tell you that I had no idea what a cranial-sacral therapist was when the LC suggested it, and when I looked it up, it sounded goofy to me. I was thankful that we had another route to go that I at least had some experience with.

I see a chiropractor sometimes more frequently, sometimes less frequently because of neck problems. It is a big help with headaches that I suffer from. Despite that, I was totally shocked that they could help my son's suck. It was really so obvious, though, that I couldn't dispute it.

The day I first went to the chiropractor I got a phone call from a friend of mine. I asked her to ask her LC friend what good a chiropractor could do. I got some explanation that way, but this LC ended up referring her own daughter to my chiropractor because they hadn't been able to get her baby to nurse but she hadn't known of a chiropractor close enough who had experience in this area. (It was still probably an hour drive for that lady.) There really must be something out there in the LC world that shows good results with this. (The LC's granddaughter did start nursing, too, by the way.)

I will keep following this thread to hear how things are going.

Let me ask, though, you mentioned that he's taking some of your expressed milk after his nursing, but I wasn't sure how much he's getting in a day. My little guy needed upwards of 20 oz at that age, but he wasn't a small or preterm one, so that might be high for yours. Has the lactation consultant given you a number to aim at? (We couldn't always get that much into him because his suck was so poor that even the bottle exhausted him. It was such a hard time. He was sleep deprived because we just tried to feed him all the time, and we were both sleep deprived from doing the feeding, pumping, washing, and reading to a two-year-old.) I do feel for you and hope you are able to get some good help soon.

I'm glad you're having another consult. Please keep me posted.
    Last edited by @llli*duaeguttae; June 11th, 2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: I reread the original post and answered one of my questions.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Update - LO failed his newborn hearing screen, today we had his 3rd appt to check on his ears. This ENT threw us a curveball. LO has a small partial cleft palate!

I think this solves my mystery. It explains the hearing loss (fluid in ears) and the effectiveness of his sucking. We're getting an appt with a cranio-facial surgeon to see if it will require surgery. Meanwhile, I'm going to continue trying to increase my supply so that he can get the milk more easily. Thank you so much for your help, I can't believe that so many doctors missed this!!!

Oh my goodness! There are 2 mamas here with extensive experience with cleft palate babies. Hopefully they will chime in soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

They may not notice this thread, perhaps I'll start a new one?

I think we're fortunate - it's not a full cleft palate, just a small split at the back of his throat and his uvula. Luckily, he CAN swallow - I read that many cleft palate babies get milk coming out their noses when they try to eat - that's not the case with us. I do think that muscle is weak though, and that's probably why he's not getting as much milk as I'd like him to.

Mommal alerted me, and I responded to your new thread I do think you are lucky, but it's not going to be super easy!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm so glad you got some understanding of what's going on with your LO. I read your other thread, and I think it's good that you're pumping to increase supply since that should make it easier. Since there are others who have more experience with your specific issue, I won't offer anything more than to say, Kudos to you for persevering in this situation. Thanks for the update here.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)