Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old baby, diff latch?

Default 2 month old baby, diff latch?

my LO just turned 2 months on Sunday. for the past couple of weeks i've noticed his nursing style is different. there's a clicking sound now (he was tongue tied which we got fixed, it's not that, i checked) and it feels like he loses his latch now and slips to my nipple but then sucks the latch right back on. is he getting a shallow latch?? we've had trouble BF in the past. so far it's been going ok...until now i guess?

also, he latches on the left breast differently than the right. (the left has always given us probs) does anyone have this prob too? prob on one breast than the other?

with LO growing older, does the latch change/feel different with their growth? just trying to figure out why nursing him feels different now.

Default Re: 2 month old baby, diff latch?

It certainly can change. My son is 9 months and my nipples look like a battlefield. He's teething something awful and is doing a lot of comfort nursing.

Does he maybe have a cold? Teething? Has your supply increased?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

No cold. Nothing out of the ordinary. :/

Just wanted to tell you that it's certainly possible for the child to have more difficulty on one side than on another.

I don't think your LO has problems like my son's, so I don't want to alarm you, but I'll tell you about him so that you'll know your not alone.

I have large inverted nipples and small stiff breasts. My son could not get a good latch from the beginning. It took us two months of all sorts of things before he could nurse adequately from the right side. It took another two months before he started nursing on the left (and I used a shield there for a while). The left is larger and completely inverted.

We have been successfully breastfeeding on both sides for over a year. He still sometimes doesn't have the best latch, and now that he's teething, he scrapes me sometimes, but I'll take the soreness to have him actually breastfeed.

Is he getting adequate milk with this new nursing style, or are you concerned about less intake? How are his wet and poopy diapers? Are you sure it's a clicking sound, or is it possibly gulping? My son got a little noisier as he got better at nursing.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)