Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6wk not sleeping enough???

Default 6wk not sleeping enough???

First I would like to thank everyone that gave me support and encourgment when i posted last on here about bf issues since things have gotten so much better and are bfe and the last week have not used a shield....

but I have one last question. I keep reading about all these babies just sleeping and needing to be awaken and everything I can find says babies from 1 to 3 months should sleep 12 -18 hrs a day. well my little one will sleep usually from 10pm and wake up between 3am and 6 am which is nice because i get to get a good nights sleep but during the day she will sleep only around 1-2 hrs and wants to be held all the time she hates the sling because she cant see around and the front baby carrier she just fussies in. So in total on a good day and night she gets 7-10 hours total. I cant get anything done during the day because she never takes a nap and Im worried she isnt getting enough sleep. Im sure this to will pass too but does anyone have problems with their lo NOT sleeping during the day.... i have also tried bouncy seats vibrating and not and the swing plus tummy time and going outside. by the end of the night shes so tired and fussy. Any suggestions?? Sorry for the novel and typos
    Last edited by @llli*tarab; June 4th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

Default Re: 6wk not sleeping enough???

No advice but very curious about what others think as this sounds just like what I am dealing with. Finally got DS into a sling today and he was comfortable and napped in there in the morning for 2 hours. This is the first real morning nap he's had that wasn't on and off in my arms.

Nice to hear others have the same issues. I could have written your post!

Several things come to mind here:

1. Are you certain that's all she's sleeping? Some babies get their sleep in catnaps, instead of in long stretches that look like "real" naps.

2. Are you reading that babies this age *should* sleep this long, or that this is what's normal for most babies? Your LO may have a different "normal."

3. At this age, it's normal for them to want to be held a lot (which it sounds like you realize). If she's not taking to the sling, is it because she can't see, or for other reasons? Maybe she can't hear your heart and needs repositioned a little, or doesn't like the smell of the cloth when she turns her head a certain way. (Someone gave me a sling which was later recalled due to infant suffocation issues--thank goodness my Happy cried in it, so that I never used the thing!(Please note that most slings don't have that issue.))

4. Is there a chance that your LO is overly-sensitive to caffeine? Not much of what you drink gets into your milk, but you never know. There's a lot of good caffeine info here on the LLLI site.

5. With Daughter the Elder, I would sometimes put her in her carseat, set it on the washing machine, and hold it steady while I set the washer on spin. That would often get her to sleep. Sometimes getting in the car and taking a drive would work, too. (Couldn't have done that this time if I had needed it; didn't own a car for the first year!)

These are all shots in the dark; I hope some of it helps! (And if not, maybe someone else can suggest something that will!)
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

Same trouble with my 6 week old son, but he only goes about 2-4 hours between feedings even at night, which does't give me hardly any solid sleep time. Last night I couldnt put him down without him freaking out. He wasnt hungry and he had a clean diaper. I knew he was tired because he passed out on my chest just as soon as I put him there. I ended up surrounding myself with pillows and letting him sleep there just so I could get some sleep. Which wasn't a good idea because I still didn't sleep very soundly knowing he was there. I don't mnid him being up during the day but when Im not getting any sleep at night its very hard. Sometimes I wake up and feel like my eyes are going to fall out of my head. I think hes going through a growth spurt too so that makes it worse because he will wake up eat for 3 or 4 mins and fall back to sleep at the breast. I lay him down and 20 mins or so later he does it all over again. Makes for a very long night.

Does your baby make any sleepy cues during the day (yawning, rubbing eyes, eyelids looking heavy or shutting for brief periods)? Sometimes my son seems to have trouble falling asleep. I know he's tired, but he won't go to sleep. Then I have to try a combination of swaddling, rocking, his swing, pacifier, making sure he's warm enough, not too warm, etc. And sometimes none of that works.

@llli*bebelolo and @llli*amberjoy Im sorry you guys are going through the same thing but glad to hear Im not the only one, Im thinking this will pass for us all and to just enjoy are little bundles of energy ....

@llli*mama.jen yes I am certain that she is not napping is small portions.....used to be she would eat and fall to sleep at the breast now she pops off as to say okay im done whats next lol and as for caffine I very rarely drink it and not alot of sugar either and I wish she would enjoy a car ride I would love to drive her around but im going to try the washer thing and I think I resigned myself that her normal isnt sleeping that much and that it is a phase and will pass hopefully lol..........

@llli*laurak83 thats the weird thing is she really does not act sleepy

thank u all for ur comments

I feel your pain. My DS is not a napper either. Some days, he doesn't nap at all in the daytime and he'll only sleep for a few 3-hour segments at night. He's about 14 weeks now and it hasn't changed!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11