Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domperidone

Default Re: Domperidone

I've ordered it from Global Drug, and did not need a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn
    I was reading the threads about Domperidone and called my ob-gyn to find out about it. He told me that it was not approved by the FDA for any uses and that they had even posted a warning to breastfeeding mothers not to use it to increase milk supply.
    I have to say that I have been very interested in finding out more about Domperidone. I have spoken with several MDs, pharmacists, LCs and even my local LLL leaders about it. This is what I was told:

All the MDs and pharamacists agreed that the FDA findings weren't based on very well researched materials but none would prescribe/fill a Rx for it if asked for it due to possible legal repercussions of prescribing an unapproved drug. They also pointed out that if there were no prolactin deficiency that it may make no difference in milk supply.

Some of ths LCs I asked had never heard of it and the ones who had heard of it didn't know anyone who had used it for increasing milk supplies but all agreed that it probably would only work for mother's who truly had a low milk supply.

The LLL leaders all said that they knew it to be a safe and effective way to boost milk supply in mothers who truly had low milk supply but was advised to make sure my supply was the problem and not latch or ineffective pumping and to exhaust all other milk supply boosting methods and that domperidone by itself probably wouldn't do much, that it had to be accompanied by more frequent pumping/expressing of milk and nipple stimulation.

I'm sorry if it appears to others that I have anything against domperidone, I don't. Only a concern that some moms may read some of the other threads and think it was a miracle milk maker and would boost anyones milks supply and use it without research. I know, myself included, that when you think your milk supply is low you would do almost anything to increase it. In my case, I found out that I didn't have a low milk supply, just that the pumping wasn't an effecient way for me to express milk. I would hope that anyone else considering using it would first seek medical/professional help in regards to their supply.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn
    I have to say that I have been very interested in finding out more about Domperidone. I have spoken with several MDs, pharmacists, LCs and even my local LLL leaders about it. This is what I was told:

All the MDs and pharamacists agreed that the FDA findings weren't based on very well researched materials but none would prescribe/fill a Rx for it if asked for it due to possible legal repercussions of prescribing an unapproved drug. They also pointed out that if there were no prolactin deficiency that it may make no difference in milk supply.
    Sorry I misunderstood. I get a little defensive about this, especially since it has made a WORLD of difference for me.

I understand about doing anything to increase your milk supply.

That's an intersting point about it might only help people with a hormonal type of low-supply (low prolactin, PCOS, low thyroid, etc.) I wonder if it could be an empiric way to diagnose low supply, as opposed to the other conditions which mimic it (bad latch, ineffecient pumping, etc.) ?????

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.