Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domperidone

Default Domperidone

Is Domperidone safe to take? I purchased some from Canada to increase my milk supply, which has now dropped to almost nothing. It says to take 3 tabs 3 x's per day or 2 tabs 4 times per day. Any help is greatly appreciated. I remember taking it with my daughter but that was 3 years ago and times have changed.

Default Re: Domperidone

AlexaJake,

Here is an article that is based on research (you can see the journal articles in the footnotes). It is a very good resource, however, it is NOT a LLL resource.
    http://www.bfar.org/domperidone.shtml

Hi! i'm from Canada and am currently on domperidone - 3 tabs 4 times daily which my doctor says is her max dose - usual dose is 2 tabs 4 times daily. I was on it for my daughter and am now taking it for my 8 week old son. It is the only thing that enables me to breastfeed - I have barely any milk without it despite frequent nursing and pumping. All the research I have done, and more importantly, my doctor, says it's safe. I haven't noticed any side effects either. Also, my LC and doctor have told me that many women can gradually decrease the dose and then go off it altogether once they have a well-established milk supply. Hope this helps!

I was reading the threads about Domperidone and called my ob-gyn to find out about it. He told me that it was not approved by the FDA for any uses and that they had even posted a warning to breastfeeding mothers not to use it to increase milk supply. Here is a copy of the article from www.webMD.com:

FDA Warns Against Use of Breast Milk Booster

Domperidone Not Approved for Use in U.S., Raising Safety Concerns By Jennifer Warner
    WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
    on Tuesday, June 08, 2004

June 8, 2004 -- The FDA is warning breastfeeding women not to use an unapproved drug called domperidone to increase breast milk production.

The agency says there have been several reports of severe health risks, including irregular heartbeats, cardiac arrest, and sudden death, associated with use of the drug that have led to its withdrawal from the market in several countries.

Researchers say domperidone is also excreted in breast milk and may expose infants to unknown health risks.

FDA officials say they issued the warning after they discovered that some women who breastfeed and/or pump breast milk are purchasing domperidone from compounding pharmacies and from foreign countries to increase their breast milk production.

Domperidone has not been approved for use in the U.S., and officials say use of the drug for any purpose is illegal.

Domperidone may increase the secretion of the hormone prolactin, which is needed for lactation. However, due to the risk of serious adverse effects, the FDA recommends that breastfeeding women not use the drug to increase milk production.

Warnings Issued on Domperidone

In addition to advising women not to use the drug, this week the FDA also issued six letters to pharmacies that compound drug products containing domperidone and firms that distribute them.

The letters state that that all drug products containing domperidone are illegal and selling or distributing them violates U.S. law.

Officials say domperidone is approved for use in several countries outside the U.S. to treat some stomach disorders. But it is not approved in any country for enhancing milk production.
    Last edited by amandalynn; February 28th, 2006 at 04:00 PM.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Domperidone is a controversial treatment, but MOST REAL experts (NOT the FDA) agree that it is a very safe and effective medication.

Question Re: Domperidone

How do you get it if it is not allowed in the US? The LC I work with recommended it but did not know how one could get it!!! My OB put me on Reglan, however, I don't see any difference!!! Has anyone used it? I have tried Fenugreek also, are there any other tricks out there????

Helpneeded!!!...desperately!

Domperidone is not illegal in the US and is available here. You can get it at compounding pharmacies. I'm in Utah and know of one compounding pharmacy near me that fills this type of prescription. That said, with a prescription you can get it by mail order as well if you don't have a compounding pharmacy near you. Domperidone is approved by the AAP for use in breastfeeding mother's. This drug is readily available and used for the purposes of increasing breastmilk supply in Canada and other parts of the world.

That said, here are Dr. Thomas Hale's words in rebuttal to the above posted FDA warning regarding domperidone:

FDA Warning on Domperidone

Dear Colleagues:

The Food and Drug Administration called yesterday to inform me of their decision to issue a warning on the use of domperidone in breastfeeding mothers. They stated that they became concerned after the publication of several case reports of domperidone toxicity following high dose "intravenous" domperidone in some patients.

Unfortunately, the correlation of intravenous administration with oral administration of domperidone is simply ludicrous. Domperidone is only 13-17% bioavailable orally. Peak plasma levels in recipients following 20 mg orally is only 15-18 ng/ml. Peak plasma levels following a 10 mg intravenous dose is reported to be 1200 ng/ml, almost 80-150 fold more than oral administration. I don't really see how high doses intravenously even correlate with the use of low to moderate doses orally in breastfeeding mothers.

They also stated that the data on the use of domperidone in breastfeeding mothers was limited, improperly designed, and did not give a good estimate of the transfer into human milk, or to the infant. While I agree that the data on domperidone is somewhat limited, these complaints could be used with virtually every other drug we have on the US market today, including all the anti-asthma products, analgesics, antidepressants, and dozens of commonly used drugs. Why hasn't the FDA issued warning on Advair, morphine, Reglan, Demerol, or Prozac. We certainly haven't stopped using all these drugs because of limited data in breastfeeding mothers.

Domperidone has been used world-wide for many years with an excellent safety record. It is approved for use in all the worlds largest and finest countries, including England, Australia, Canada, etc. This warning from the FDA has nothing to do with its safety, its all about the importation of drugs from Canada and control by this federal agency. They simply want to stop the importation of all drugs, particularly those used by the elderly, and now the breastfeeding mother.

The reality is that I still believe domperidone is the safest product we can use for stimulating milk production in some women. It is still true that in many mothers it offers the only hope for maintaining a milk supply for their infants and preventing the untoward effects of formula.

When I asked them if they had consulted with anyone in the field of human lactation about the consequences of this action, they had not. When I asked them what breastfeeding mothers were to do, they answered contact their physician for options, or switch to formula.

I do not propose to advise you as to what you should do, but as for me, I simply choose to ignore them, and their advice.

Thomas W. Hale, R.Ph., Ph.D.
    Professor of Pediatrics

Question Re: Domperidone

Do most doctors perscribe it if you ask for it? I'm not sure that my doctor will?! Thanks for the info!!!

Helpneeded!!!

I don't know. You can always take the information above to your doctor though if they don't want to RX it for you and see if it helps change their mind.

Most low supply moms I know order it from here:

http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003

I'm on a yahoo group called MOBI (mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues) and everybody there loves their customer service, and has not been ripped off / credit card scammed by them.

The shipment USUALLY comes in 2 weeks, sometimes quicker, but due to potential international shipping problems it CAN take longer. So if you are wanting to use it all the time I would say keep at least a 6 weeks supply.

IF your shipment gets interrupted by the FDA, you can just email Global Drug's customer service and they will ship you a new order. The old order gets returned to Global Drug.

Good luck everyone, I know this drug has really helped me