Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supplementing: solids vs. formula

Default Re: Supplementing: solids vs. formula

I'm also piping in to say, breastmilk is better than formula, but formula is better than a lot of other things, especially for a younger baby. My sister started her baby early on solids (4.5 mo) as a way of "supplementing" bc her job made it very difficult to pump, and her baby suffered from chronic constipation until she finally decided that a little bit of formula would be better. Sure enough, the constipation cleared up. Like your baby, her baby got a LOT of breastmilk, just not exclusive breastmilk. In her case, formula was easier on her tummy than spooned cereal and the like.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks so much for all your input, mamas. Jack Newman's info on solids is what got me wondering about this in the first place... but I think we'll keep up with the bottle, as much as I wish we could phase it out. It has been necessary for LO to gain his minimum .5 oz per day (though sometimes he gains even less)... I am just really worried about when I have to go back to work, which isn't for a while, but the anxiety is already looming over my head. I have to go back to work toward the end of August, and I have such a low supply that I can't build a freezer stash, so I'll have nothing for DS on that first day of work, and pumping is going to be extremely hard with my job (I teach). At that point DS will be 7 months old, so I guess I was hoping that if DS is well established on solids before I head to work in August, then maybe we won't have to give him as much formula and I can BF lots when I am home in the evenings and at night. But like joesmom said, formula isn't the best, but there are worse things for my LO.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Hey sorry if I missed a previous post of yours, but did you ever figure out what might be causing your (slightly) low supply? I'm sure you looked into thyroid, PCOS, etc, but it just seems kind of strange.

And do they really need to gain a half ounce a day? I am pretty sure mine doesn't, though then again I haven't weighed him to see if he does or doesn't.

And in addition to a portable electric for your formal breaks/lunch, I would recommend a little hand pump to use in the bathroom (or behind your desk/laptop! lol) to remove some milk. I think you can do it! There are lots of teachers on here and I bet they have some great pumping tips!

Hi katia,

Well my supply saga is looong...but I finally believe now that my issues stem from IGT, coupled with mismanagement in the early weeks, but I'll never be sure. (I posted a while back the beginning of my story titled "My BFing Saga" parts 1 and 2.) But now that my LO is 5 months I have finally just accepted that he needs to get 1 bottle every night, and I thank my lucky stars that I'm able to BF him as much as I do. And he doesn't gain a full .5 oz per day...he's close, though, and my ped and I am happy with that. I wouldn't want him to gain any less. (.5 oz per day is the low end of supposed "normal" weight gain per day, according to my ped.) So my focus is no longer on how I can increase my supply... I just reached a point where I had to accept my supply for what it is, or I would have gone crazy. I am a lot more relaxed and happy now, and am enjoying my son a whole lot more. Of course I still eat oatmeal and take my fenugreek and Domperidone, and I pump, though not 8 - 12 times daily like I used to. Anyway... I am amazed that some women battle to get their supplies up for months longer than I did, but 5 months was my limit!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

awww mama, I know it is tough. You are doing awesome. I wish I was nursing, if it helps.

I think it's interesting that you mentioned IGT, just because I was "diagnosed" it by one LC I saw because my breasts are small and far apart. However, after rebuilding my supply (6 oz away from enough!), I find I can pump 8 oz in the morning (and 2 ish per session after that), so clearly my breasts can store a decent amount of milk. I did take goat's rue awhile back- not sure if it helped with mammary tissue or not, but if it hasn't been suggested (and forgive me if it has) it might be something to look into. And I know it must be frustrating to get repeated advice sometimes, I just wish I could help!

If it helps, I don't think your rocky start would prevent you from a full supply- I am not at a full supply yet, but it is slowwwwly increasing. So maybe it is just going slower as your body thinks it is established? rambling!

I think you are doing great though and when he is older, he can have water/solids/cow's milk and get PLENTY of mama milk

I am SO happy that you are happy though It gets very emotional, I know.

I too know what it is like to have to redefine what a "successful breastfeeding experience" is. But it was freeing to do so. To know that I had done my best and to be satisfied with producing as much as I could for as long as I could. And to nurse as much as you can and leave as much of the guilt as you can behind when you supplement. And enjoy the nursing you can do. And enjoy your baby more.

And FWIW I have no idea what happened with DS and why I never made enough for him to be EBF. Because I did everything the same with DD and we not only EBF but she still nurses at least 6 times a day and she is 20 months old now.

proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

My sister is a teacher too, and that's why she "supplemented" with solids. The fact that teachers have such a hard time pumping ... it's like, isn't that job HARD ENOUGH? Sheesh!!

One bottle a day isn't very much mama. For someone with as many challenges as you've been through, it sounds like you are doing wonderfully. As far as August, I say, focus your energy on spending time with your LO, if you have to supplement more in August, so be it, but don't let the thought of that take away from your joy being home this summer. Even if you supplement more when you go back to work, you can still get lots of breastfeeding in. It might comfort you to know that my baby's milk intake never increased after four months - it was the same at ten months as at four. So you will not have to INCREASE your supply between now and then.

And yes, I've read your story, and I'd say you were a breastfeeding success story! Hang in there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.