Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diarrhea, very watery poops?

Default Diarrhea, very watery poops?

I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar. About a month ago my DD had a bout of diarrhea (a huge, but really HUGE, amount of green, mucousy poop). The doctor said it was a virus and it would run its course in 2-3 weeks.

Fast forward to more than 4 weeks later... Although the giant green poops didn't return, her poops have become more watery. When the poop comes out, there is the pasty part, the seedy part, and then transparent yellow water around it. Worse: sometimes, she farts and only squirts of the transparent yellow water come out. And also, she poops 6-8 times a day, and there always seems to be a little bit of poop in between the larger poops. Sometimes she spends one hour pooping, in between larger and smaller amounts of poop (this often happens when I'm changing her).

From time to time she has green or brown poops, and also mucus.
    Plus she is SUPER GASSY (like, scary gassy), often has discomfort when pooping, and often gets a little reflux-y.

The doctor said it could be an allergy and I have eliminated dairy, wheat, soy, nuts, and onions for ten days already. I haven't noticed any difference.

In the meantime they are running a stool sample to see if she has giardia.
    She was a little over one month when the diarrhea started, and now she is 10 weeks. Her weight gain is excellent (she went from 7lb 10oz at one month to 10lb 6oz at two months) so the doctor wasn't that concerned.

From everything I've read and heard, I thought this was the time when the poops would get fewer. Instead, she's pooping round the clock, and the watery squirts are very disconcerting. I wanted to know if anyone else has ever experienced something similar, and if so, what the cause and the outcome were.

PS. She has always been EBF'd.

Default Re: Diarrhea, very watery poops?

This sound pretty much exactly like my son when he was an infant. For US, it was food intolerance and allergy, and reflux. I ended up eliminating a lot of foods, but not willy-nilly. I kept a food log and a long of his symptoms, and when I would see a correlation, I eliminated the food for a couple of weeks (dairy can take up to 6 weeks or so to completely clear the baby's system, but the other things are much faster). If it seemed to help, I kept eliminating it. If I didn't see a change, I reintroduced the food and watched for reactions. How did you choose the foods you started eliminating? Are you keeping a food/behavior/poop log?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Teal, thanks for the reply! It helps to know we're not the only ones...

My doctor told me to eliminate everything at once, come back in a few weeks, and then start adding one thing at a time. I haven't kept a food + reactions log, but I will start one tomorrow! It's a great suggestion.

When you eat something, how long does it take to show up on your milk and make your baby fussy? For example, today my baby was ultra-gassy after the second afternoon feed. Should I look into my lunch, or previous meals? (I had corn for lunch and I'm thinking that might have been it.)

The worst is worrying whether my baby is getting all her nutrients...

Something similar happened to us as well. Started at a bit over one month old and now she is 9 weeks old. Our pediatrician had already diagnosed her with reflux (although I don't see a difference after starting meds). then she got really watery poops. The doc said it was normal and told me to eat more starches to help firm them up. I tried, but it didn't. so I got worried again and brought her back to the doc. Again, told it was normal.

I also tried cutting out dairy to see if it made any difference and didn't notice any. Took her back to the pediatrician because she had a big very watery green poop which scared me. Again, told me it was normal. so basically this has become her baseline. Her poops have gone back to being yellow and somewhat seedy and occaisonally green but still watery. Pretty much the doc said that so long as she is gaining weight well and nothing else is going on, it's nothing to worry about. Green, yellow, and brown poop is fine.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but just to let you know you're not alone.

Tomom,

Yes, it helps! It helps to know we're not alone! My doctor also thought all was well because of the weight gain (I even brought in photos of the watery poop for her to see). I was also scared of the giant watery green poop! Now every diaper change I tense up a little.

I'd be curious to know if you ever find out more about it or also if somehow it resolves...

thanks!

I did the exact same thing (the picture)!!! LOL! My pediatrician gave me this look, "like ok this mom is crazy". I'm the same way every time I hear my LO poop...it's like what am I going to find when I change her diaper. Lately, her poops have been returning to a more mustard yellow, seedy poop although they are still watery. So I'm just keeping an eye on it and making sure she is well hydrated and not pooping more frequently that usual. Although she still poops 4-5x a day...I know sometimes by this age (8 weeks +) they can slow down...but not my LO...keeping me on my toes!

Yes I'll let you know if I findout anything else...same for you too!

Fast forward to more than 4 weeks later... Although the giant green poops didn't return, her poops have become more watery. When the poop comes out, there is the pasty part, the seedy part, and then transparent yellow water around it. Worse: sometimes, she farts and only squirts of the transparent yellow water come out. And also, she poops 6-8 times a day, and there always seems to be a little bit of poop in between the larger poops.
    DS is 5 and 1/2 weeks, and this is what his poops are like. I wasn't worried, just assumed it was normal. He's gassy, but I also don't burp him at night because I don't want to wake him up. I just make sure to put a little bit of diaper cream on when I change him because I know he's going to make a little fart and I don't want that irritating his skin.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tomom View Post
    I did the exact same thing (the picture)!!! LOL! My pediatrician gave me this look, "like ok this mom is crazy". I'm the same way every time I hear my LO poop...it's like what am I going to find when I change her diaper. Lately, her poops have been returning to a more mustard yellow, seedy poop although they are still watery. So I'm just keeping an eye on it and making sure she is well hydrated and not pooping more frequently that usual. Although she still poops 4-5x a day...I know sometimes by this age (8 weeks +) they can slow down...but not my LO...keeping me on my toes!

Yes I'll let you know if I findout anything else...same for you too!
    Tomom, that's hilarious about the picture! I'll come back here with an update when I find out more. For now I'm on week 2 of total elimination diet. Poops are still watery, sometimes yellow, sometimes green or brown. They seem to be less mucousy and she seems slightly less gassy, but not by much. And the elimination diet sucks big time!!!

Good luck to you and your LO...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laurak83 View Post
    DS is 5 and 1/2 weeks, and this is what his poops are like. I wasn't worried, just assumed it was normal. He's gassy, but I also don't burp him at night because I don't want to wake him up. I just make sure to put a little bit of diaper cream on when I change him because I know he's going to make a little fart and I don't want that irritating his skin.
    Laura, glad to know there are more of us with babies who have watery poops and watery squirts with their farts!!! Although I hope for all of us the day will come when we get a bit of a break...