Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply, OALD, falling to peices !

Default Oversupply, OALD, falling to peices !

Hello all, i am new so please go easy on me.

My son is 4 months old next week. He is a very big boy, was born 9.5 pound and is now 7.5 kg.

The first two weeks were a dream and then about 4 weeks old he started becomming colicky and showing symptoms of silent reflux. I went to the drs and was given losec but my partner and i decided to give our son a dummy which worked wonders with his reflux problems. Things were going well by 7 weeks and he seemed very different and happier then at 8 weeks things changed big time and for the most part of him being awake he seemed sidetracked. He would kick his legs and grizzle and strain, sometimes scream until he did an explosive poo, usually an orange colour but every now and then they would be green. Sometimes he would have these same "symptoms" but wouldnt actually poo and this would go on all day.

Ive been told a million different things from its nothing to its serious and i still have no idea whats happening

I tried expressing milk before a feed to balance out hindmilk/foremilk imbalance but this didnt work and i got told theres no such thing as imbalance.

i tried cutting dairy out of my diet for a week and i didnt notice all that much difference though i did notice a little bit

i tried cutting out chocolate and this didnt work

also cut out tomato, onion, brocolli etc nothing

Now we are sure he is teething and ive been told this could cause some green mucus nappies but then i was also told that is rubbish.

I also know i have oversupply of milk but he seems to cope with 70% of his feeds without gagging or choking and His gas seems to be getting worse, despite the fact that i started block feeding him in six hour blocks to reduce my supply a few days ago. The only changes i did notice is that he has had two out of three nappies that were more yellow in colour and that had a seedy texture which he hasnt had many of for many weeks.

I feel so lost and im really struggling to see him in so much pain from wind, i burp him throughout the feed, and pump his legs after, i even massage him before bed to move the gas down but it never seems to be enough. infants friend and infacol dont do anything either.

does this sound familiar to anyone?

i thought it had to be dairy originally because i eat a tonne of the stuff and towards the end of my pregnancy straight cows milk in particular began to taste different to me so i figured it was my bodies way of telling me something was up with it. But he doesnt really have a rash, sometimes his skin looks a bit scaley on his cheeks and the occaisional red bump.

i have no idea how to tell if its those foods because i was told even if i cut out say dairy and replace it with soy he may be allergic to soy and it can take 3 weeks for any improvement. but i dont know what foods to eat for calcium other than dairy, soy etc. Is there any other way to tell? and do i need to cut out every single source of dairy including milk solids and traces of? no one in my immediate family has any allergies at all either

sorry for rambling im just very confused and tired and stressed, i really want to breast feed and feel like a bad mum for always having my bub in pain.

Also i have never expressed milk into a bottle and i have things coming up where i need to but i dont know how much to express or when to do it without upsetting my block feeding pattern?

any help would be much appreciated

Default Re: Oversupply, OALD, falling to peices !

not sure about the rest, but both coconut milk & almond milk have more calcium then soy or cows milk

No such thing as a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance? Ha!

If you have oversupply, your baby is probably experiencing an imbalance. Instead of taking in a "typical" balance of watery foremilk and creamy hindmilk, he's filling up on foremilk before he ever reaches the cream. An excessive intake of watery, lactose rich milk can cause all the symptoms you are seeing: windiness, fussiness, green poops. That's not to say that there isn't an allergy or intolerance component to this. But I think that by starting with block feeding, you are on the right track.

Hugs mama

There can certainly be an imbalance - I definitely had one that affected DS in the early weeks. I would pump and get 3-4 ounces of watery milk and then maybe 1 ounce of creamy milk. But hang in there - trust your gut...and although your LO is having some issues - you are still doing the best thing for him - giving him the most digestible food there is!

With regards to dairy - you wouldn't see a change if only eliminating it for one week. The protein in milk takes 1-2 weeks to leave your system, and an additional 1-2 weeks to leave baby's system - so if you really suspect that dairy could be a culprit, you'd have to give it up for at least 4 weeks - and that includes hidden dairy (it's everywhere! LOL...even in some potato chips.) I did this, it was really - really hard...and didn't see any changes after 5 weeks, so I went back to consuming dairy again. But it was worth it because I at least knew it wasn't it.

But just keep trusting YOUR instincts. I didn't really even out until about 16-20 weeks of BFing with regards to my supply. I didn't think I'd ever stop feeling engorged..but I did. Right around the time that DS was able to pick up the pace and nurse more efficiently.

It really should get better for you...wish I had more advice.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjanfeb98p13.html

that helps my lo with his gas and poops.

block feeding really helped me, so maybe try to continue that?

i also use mylicon for gas relief.
    the elimination diet does take about 3-4 weeks, according to my friend who did it. she cut out everything for a month, then added things one at a time, till she figured out what it was (tomatoes cauliflower and broccoli and soy and cow milk )

good luck and follow your instincts!!!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

o also the pumping thing? that makes me go into oversupply for days! i try to wait until lo is sleeping through a normal feeding, then i pump. i know a few women who pump all the time before every feeding, but that seems like a lot of work to me! (which is why i only have 7 oz in the freezer :/ )
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarapunkinpie88 View Post

block feeding really helped me, so maybe try to continue that?

Duh! Don't know why I didn't think of that. It REALLY helped me too. He would only nurse one side at a time, and nurse that same side for 4-6 hours and then I'd switch to the other.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.