Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom of 5-day old needs support!

Default Mom of 5-day old needs support!

I gave birth to DD2 5 days ago, and you'd think having breastfed DD1 for 2 years, breastfeeding would be less of a challenge. Boy, was I wrong!

First of all, my left breast has a flat nipple while my right is totally normal. DD1 completely ignored my left breast when she was 3 months old so we just went on to nurse exclusively on the right side. The problem now is that DD2 is having trouble latching on to the left side. I dont have an LC anywhere near me, and I feel like I've tried everything! I've tried different positions and had some success with the football hold, but even in the rare occassions that she manages to latch on, I know the latch is too shallow because I'm always in excruciating pain! I tried a nipple shield, which DD2 hates and refuses to nurse when I have it on. I've tried pumping before feeding to pull the nipple out, but then she can't get her mouth open wide enough to get a good latch anyways.

I've resorted to just feeding her on the right side, which seems to be working well. She's getting lots of wet/dirty diapers so I know she's getting enough. The problem with that is the left side gets very very engorged. Last night I tried pumping for the first time, just to relieve some of the engorgement and to keep supply up, and I pumped next to nothing! Barely enough to cover the bottom of the bottle! I tried using my Medela Freestyle and an Avent manual pump with the same results.

I apologise for the length of this but I'm just so frustrated! What can I do? Why can't I pump anything? I know that things will start to get better once DD2 grows a bit more, but what do I do in the meantime? I feel like I'm at my wits end!

Please help!

Default Re: Mom of 5-day old needs support!

Hi hon Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties
    I'm afraid as I have never had this problem I might not be the best person to give you advice but I will try using what I have read/heard from other mums---have you tried using breast shells? I don't have this problem as I mentioned but the idea behind them is that you wear these things in your bra and they very gently massage/suction your nipple so that it pulls it outward so that when you go to nurse your nipple protrudes as it would naturally on the other side. Supposedly if you wear them for a while and get your baby into a good nursing pattern it can get your nipples to be less flat, from what I have heard.
    Have you tried contacting a La Leche League Leader for help? They may have further ideas which may be able to help you as well. In the meantime if you want to nurse on your left side as well I would keep pumping and try manual expression perhaps as well to keep up your milk supply; as some women (including myself) have great results relieving engorgement using this method-just use a search engine online to see how its done. Good luck, I hope that you find the answers you're looking for and your problems resolve!!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Also, do keep in mind that you are still establishing your milk supply as your child has just been born. It takes several months as your baby grows and nurses for your hormones to regulate- the reason for this for example, is that at one week old the very maximum capacity of your newborn's stomach is 1.5-2 US ounces. (by 1 mo or so that capacity grows to a *maximum* of about 5 ounces and generally won't change much over the next, say, half a year) That means that that is how much they can eat, at the very most, at any given time. Factor in that this is the breast you find difficult-most women do have a breast that is more difficult...for example; I usually only make 1-2 ounces from my left breast when I pump whereas from the right breast I make 3-5. You can also try pumping the left side while nursing from the right; or double pumping between feeds. Also waking up to pump in the night. All of these will help to relieve engorgement and boost milk production. Pump often and for shorter periods of time-it's all about supply & demand!

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997

Thanks so much for your reply. I will definitely give the breast shells a try!

About pumping on the side that I find more difficult, I've been pumping while she feeds on the right side and sometimes just after she feeds. I dont get much out of the pumping sessions (hardly even 1oz) and I dont think it's doing much to relieve the engorgement as I still feel 'full' even after I pump - but am I right to assume that it's the breast stimulation that matters? Should I just keep pumping even though I'm not really emptying the breast?

You're more than welcome

To answer your ?s, you are indeed right in assuming that it's the stimulation that matters. Emptying both of the breasts at the same time or in close time conjunction will "tell" your body that you are feeding twins, if that makes any sense, and your hormones react accordingly.
    Barely an ounce is a perfectly fine amount to be producing from one side in the beginning-in fact many women find they can't ever produce more than that from one side. I've heard from a couple of nursing Mums who have said that they've only yielded approximately 2 oz in total (both breasts) in fact throughout the entire time they lactated-I would say not to worry although I know that is FAR, FAARR easier said than done. Considering you're starting out with that much you will probably be able to build your supply up as time goes on.
    As for the hard feeling-I felt like that a lot as well when my milk was first coming in, it was almost un-relieve-able. One thing that I found very helpful however is to massage the breast whilst pumping (or nursing, but be careful if its been a while since you've nursed as this can cause milk to flow out forcefully, and babes can gag ect) by holding your fingers sort of like a claw and gliding them from the very base of your chest towards the nipple and do this around either or both breasts if you need relief from engorgement. Or any sort of massage that goes from the chest base towards the nipple really can help as long as you aren't hurting yourself in doing so.
    I also supplement with soya lecithin (1200mg, 2x a day for me) which is a natural & very helpful substance that prevents plugged ducts and even hasten the relief of engorgement (which rarely happens to me anymore ta this stage but...)-because it is an emulsifier, it keeps the fats dispersed throughout the milk inside your ducts which makes it flow out much more easily as opposed to settling and bceoming "sticky" inside the breast ( and therefore creating clogs ect)
    Hope that helps

Stimulation matters, but it's not the only thing that matters. Milk removal is probably more important than stimulation. I would contact a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Maybe she can help you get the baby latched onto the difficult side, and she can probably help you pump. You might need different sized shields, or a different pump... Either way, hands-on help is worth the expense.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i dont know if thos is completely out of line... so I apologize in advance, if it bother you just ignore it, so I read that when you get stimulation (like teh sucking of that baby while nursing) in an inverted nipple you might actually be able to get it out so... maybe you can have your partner suck on that side to make sure you can empty your breasts, get stimulation and try to take that nipple out?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Stimulation matters, but it's not the only thing that matters. Milk removal is probably more important than stimulation. I would contact a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Maybe she can help you get the baby latched onto the difficult side, and she can probably help you pump. You might need different sized shields, or a different pump... Either way, hands-on help is worth the expense.
    Stimulation will help increase your supply, but when you're engorged, you need to remove the milk, or else your full breasts will signal your brain to stop making milk on that side. Plus, I'm worried you will get clogged ducts or mastitis, not being able to empty that breast! You said there were no LCs in your area? Is that true? Do you have a local LLL group? Is there someplace relatively nearby where you could to visit an LC? I do feel that some hands-on help could really help you out. You CAN produce enough milk from one breast to feed your baby, if you need to, but that's not ideal, to say the least (as you know).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for all your feedback, ladies! Unfortunately I dont have access to an LC, much less an IBCLC

Funny thing, I was at the store just now to get breast shells when I came across the Lansinoh Latch Assist. I dont know why I never thought of it before! I tried it out before feeding DD2, and she actually latched on! She still cant get her tiny mouth open wide enough to latch ideally, so I actually have to wait until she's crying to get that wide open gape. Also, she seems to be frustrated with the slower flow on my left side and keeps unlatching, but I'm hoping that'll get better the more I get her to the breast.

Been feeling positive for the first time since we got home from the hospital, so I'm hoping everything will work out!

That's wonderful news, mama! Keep it up, and let us know how it goes!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"