Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: evening feeding issues

Default evening feeding issues

Every night for his feeding between 7-9pm, my 7 week old will fuss. He will latch for a few minutes and then all of a sudden he'll unlatch and cry and then try to latch again frantically- this will continue for the whole feeding until he tires himself out. This doesn't happen because of a strong let-down (he does it throughout the feeding, not just at a let-down). He doesn't do this any other time of the day- and he only started this last week- he had been nursing fine before that. I had some complications, so we've had to supplement with formula occasionally and when we give him a bottle for this evening feeding he does the same thing (not as severely but still fights it). I know he's hungry because as soon as we take him off, he's frantically rooting. We burp him often, but he does seem to toot a lot at this time of night. We've tried gas drops and gripe water but haven't seen an improvement with either. Any suggestions?

Default Re: evening feeding issues

its perfectly normall. its called 'fussy time' and its usually around night time. babys are used to mom's being most active at that time of night. either going out for dinner, buig meals that kind of thing. they often outgrow it tho so dont worry too muvh

its also possible its a growth spurt
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

My daughter did this around that age. It gets better.

For me, I discovered that she fussed more if it was noisy while she was trying to nurse around that time. It would get really bad if we were at my parents' house with all the cousins running around (only 3 are mobile, but it seems like a herd). I started going into a darkened, quiet room, and it helped.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I was searching the forum this evening because we're having the same issue with our 5 and 1/2 week old that started a few evenings ago. He seems to be super tired and cranky, but can't fall asleep and isn't soothed by nursing (same thing you described -- latches on, crying despite nursing, lets go, then acts like a madman trying to find the nipple again). It's been difficult to console him. This evening I got him to nurse, then just put him in his crib and let him cry. So far I have tried to avoid letting him "cry it out," but none of the usual soothing techniques worked. He cried for 5-10 minutes then fell asleep. I still feel bad for letting him cry.

I have a similar issue with my 5 week old. For us, it works to have my husband take him outside for a walk (15-30 mins). The change of scenery quiets the baby, and usually when they get back he'll nurse to sleep.

i am SOOOOOO having that problem now with my 7 week old. oh goodness. i thought it was just me!!

so fussy time in the evening is normal. nice....

Yeah, fussy time: one of the many wonderful things about new babies that you don't hear abut until after you have one! Bait and switch.

Some strategies for fussy time that can help:
    - motion- rock baby in a rocker, swing in a swing, go for a drive in the car or ride in the stroller
    - closeness- snuggling in a baby sling can help
    - bath- the sensation of warm water can really soothe
    - fresh air- take baby outside to experience different sounds, smells, sights
    - nurse- you can't do it too much

OP, can you tell us what has led you to supplement with formula? As long as you are nursing on demand and the baby is having adequate diaper output, there's no reason to suspect low supply...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you everyone for your responses- and to those of you going through the same thing- I'm sorry!

Let me clarify that the fussiness is only when nursing/bottle feeding. Like I posted before, he's definitely hungry, and its not a low supply issue or a too-strong let-down issue. He'll latch, cry, unlatch and then repeat. If we start bottle feeding, he'll do the same but not as severely. If we pause the feeding he'll just cry and root. He'll take the pacifier for just a few minutes then start crying again. Once he's eaten, he's not fussy anymore.

My diet hasn't changed so I'm pretty sure thats not it (and I've been careful about gassy foods since he was born).

Sounds very much like my girls. They would latch, unlatch, cry- and repeat the cycle over and over until I found something that worked for them (usually a trip outside or a bath). My feeling was that late in the afternoon/evening, the girls were too tired to eat effectively and too hungry to sleep... Really, I promise that this is very normal and common!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you everyone for your input. We ended up taking his to his pediatrician- he is suffering from acid reflux. The reason the evening feedings were so bad is that the acid had made his throat so sore by the end of the day he didn't want to eat. Those of you who are going through the same, please have your baby checked for reflux- its apparently very common and very painful.