Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help for a friend nursing a 2 yr old

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Help for a friend nursing a 2 yr old

Help, ladies!

I don't have a lot of time to research the boards, but I have a friend who is nursing a 2 yr old. She has been going through some health issues of her own (not sure what they are, as they are none of my business), but every time she has a doctor's appointment, the doctors keep giving her a hard time telling her that she needs to wean as there is NO health benefits for BF for this long. She has no desire to stop now or any time in the future and is thoroughly researching her medications before taking them, etc.

Can someone show me the links that shows the benefits of extended BF? She wants to have something in writing to show to her doctors.

THX
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Default Re: Help for a friend nursing a 2 yr old

American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496 "Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother, especially in delaying return of fertility (thereby promoting optimal intervals between births)...
    There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I like this site a lot, too. I'm actually reading this book, which I'm enjoying.

http://www.myntoddler.com/myntoddler/Input_-_Why.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

This article isn't from a medical source, but it's something that made sense to a good friend who questioned the relevance of breastfeeding a toddler. I think it has some good information .

http://mothering.com/breastfeeding/e...dings-benefits