Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Elimination Diet

Default Elimination Diet

Howdy, Has anyone done this? I am 2 weeks dairy-free, and am starting
    Dr Sears TED. Really sucks...I love cookies! Turkey, Sweet & Reg potatoes, Pears, Rice, Squash...Does anyone know some particular foods I could consume? I purchased some rice pasta, and rice cakes (plain), but don't really know of anything else that is allowed. What about Rice Chex cereal? Has sugar & molasses in it; wonder if that's alright. And does anyone know how long I would need to be strict? Maybe 2 weeks and then introduce new food? Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Default Re: Elimination Diet

The goal is to get baby to a baseline where s/he is not reacting so that is what you're shooting for. That said, it's not a diet that's meant to be maintained long term (for YOUR health).

I think after a few days of being on it I started eating rice chex with rice milk, but both have other ingredients so you might want to at least start off with nothing processed if you're going to go for it, may as well really go for it, kwim? Also take my advice with a grain of salt, I never was able to get my little man to a baseline.

I ate a lot of baked potatoes when I was on it. If you wet them and then rub them all over with salt and pepper it gives them some extra flavor. And sauteed squash and zucchini if you can get it brown without burning it, it gets kind of sweet and caramelized. Sometimes I'd put the squash on top of the potato for a special treat.

Are you going from no-dairy straight to the TED? What kind of symptoms are you seeing in your LO? Did they improve at all when you cut dairy? Did you cut even hidden dairy?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm not familar with Dr Sears TED (and don't have time to read up on it), but I have been on an elimination diet for the past two weeks - and it SUCKS! My DS was experiencing runny nose and other "cold-like" symptoms. I talked with a naturopathic doctor (ND), who told me to eliminate all corn, wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, chocolate, and citrus from my diet for 3 weeks (or 2 if he was healthy by then). At the 2 week mark, DS was looking good... so I introduced two servings of corn in one day. I am now supposed to wait 3 days (which is tomorrow) to see if it created any symptoms. The ND said that 3 days is the max time it could take for the allergens/food to be in your milk.

Tomorrow, I am going to introduce one of the other food groups and wait another 3 days to see if anything happens. Etc.

It's important to not eat anything that you are avoiding during the first 2-3 weeks, and also during days 2-3 after you introduce one of the foods, because otherwise the study could be false.

I have been eating lots of plain oatmeal (made with water), meats (be careful of what it's seasoned with - lots of hidden corn/wheat in stuff!), and fruits/vegetables. I cannot wait until I can eat wheat again!!! *crosses fingers he's not allergic to that**
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    The ND said that 3 days is the max time it could take for the allergens/food to be in your milk.
    It can take up to 6 weeks for dairy to clear from your system completely.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous