Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Moving...how to transfer breastmilk

Default Moving...how to transfer breastmilk

Hi,

I'm going to be moving houses at the end of the month and I have quite a bit of breastmilk stored in the freezer. We are only moving approximately 30 min away...do you think it would be sufficient to just have a cooler filled with ice and ice packs to get the milk from one freezer to another with out it thawing?

Or would dry ice be a better option? Where can you buy dry ice?

Default Re: Moving...how to transfer breastmilk

I moved a week ago and that's what I did. seems fine. good luck with the move!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Make sure you pack all the empty space in the cooler w/ newspaper or other insulating packing. This will help keep the ice from melting.

Dry ice is probably not needed. I've seen it in a grocery story before, but none in my area.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

For half an hour, your plans sound fine. Milk banks transfer collected milk frequently much longer than that. So a milkbank might be a good source for more information.

FYI, I am going to ship some of my stash to a friend, so I started looking around my area for dry ice. Turns out Kroger carries it as regular stock (I called to ask). Not sure if it applies to all Krogers. I called a FedEx shipping branch to ask them, and that's who they directed me to.

Good luck w/ your move!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos