Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: would appreciate more advice

Default would appreciate more advice

Hi- I would really appreciate some more advice/moral support! I have what seems like pretty severe oversupply and OALD. My son is now nearly 8 weeks old and we have been block feeding for at least 6 weeks (4-12 hour blocks - ugh). I thought that our oversupply issues were improving -- last week, he seemed to be adapting to the high flow, we even had a few instances of yellow/non-foamy poop, and he increased his time between feedings to every 2-3.5 hours rather than every 1-2 hours. Thinking things were getting better, I became less regimented with the block feeding. Now, he has started routinely screeching, squirming, and choking with feedings again. I obviously have to go back to a more careful block feeding routine, but I would really appreciate any advice that folks have to give. (Also FYI - for the past 2.5 weeks, I have been avoiding milk/yogurt/cheese since I was feeling desperate to do something proactive that might improve his fussiness).

The frequency with which my son nurses and the fact that he is so high maintenance at the breast is really wearing me out and making it tough for me to care for my 3.5 year old. I find myself avoiding going out since the nursing is rough enough in the privacy of our home - let alone dealing with spraying, choking, and screeching with a bunch of gawkers and my daughter trying to "help." I had such a positive breastfeeding experience with my daughter, but this is really no fun at all. Any advice/support would be much appreciated!

Default Re: would appreciate more advice

hang in there 8 weeks is very young yet.
    Do you have a local LLL leader you can talk to? She would be able to listen beter then we can on-line.

my dd had troubles like your talking about,
    Are you doing any pumping?

Thanks for your reply!

I haven't had very good luck with the local LLL since nobody in my group has the same problem.

As for the pumping, I have been generally avoiding it since I don't want to worsen the problem. I have pumped on a few occasions when the engorgement has become completely intolerable (I can get >3oz nearly instantaneously from an engorged breast and then I stop). I have used pumped milk from these mini-sessions for others to bottlefeed when I have had to go out (and I don't pump while I am out).

yeah I wouldn't pump unless you were in unbarable pain...
    are you having blocked ducts?
    cracks or bleeding nipples?

Thankfully no blocked ducts so far. For the first couple of weeks, my nipples cracked, bled, and scabbed, but they are now OK. I think that my nursing calluses from breastfeeding my now 3.5 year old daughter for a year and a half helped out on that front (my nipples were in really rough shape when nursing her for first couple of months).

that's good that they are healing well...
    Your past the worst part then.

and your doing the right things to help him deal with the flow.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

check out some of the links at the bottom of that page.
    They would be helpful to you.

it might take a few weeks to see improvements, sometimes it just takes time and the baby to grow a little bit

Mama, in my experience oversupply is a problem that can take a while to manage, and for me it was a "two steps forward, one step back" process. I'd make progress, and just when I thought I had things managed, bam! The oversupply would be back.

One thing I noticed that is obviously frustrating to you is your baby's nursing frequency. Nursing every 1-2 hours is normal at your baby's age, oversupply or not. If your older child nursed less frequently than that, it is probably pretty shocking to be blessed with a second child whose nurses so much more often- but I want to assure you that the frequent nursing really is normal. I am sure your LO will eventually space his sessions out more- but don't expect it this early.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the support! It is always nice to hear from others who have pushed through the tough part.

My daughter actually nursed just as frequently during the day (every 1-2 hours for the first 3-4 months), but the nursing experience itself was generally peaceful and she also gave me a bit more rest at night.

I appreciate the words of encouragement since it is not always easy to give myself a pep talk when I am feeling frustrated!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, in my experience oversupply is a problem that can take a while to manage, and for me it was a "two steps forward, one step back" process. I'd make progress, and just when I thought I had things managed, bam! The oversupply would be back.

One thing I noticed that is obviously frustrating to you is your baby's nursing frequency. Nursing every 1-2 hours is normal at your baby's age, oversupply or not. If your older child nursed less frequently than that, it is probably pretty shocking to be blessed with a second child whose nurses so much more often- but I want to assure you that the frequent nursing really is normal. I am sure your LO will eventually space his sessions out more- but don't expect it this early.
    I had the same issue with oversupply - just when I thought things were improving, we'd suddenly be back to green foamy poop and fussy nursing sessions! I thought I'd never get past it - seriously, I was thinking, I'm going to be exploding with milk when this kid goes to kindergarten!

All I can say is that this was NOT the case, and my supply did finally regulate itself. I had hoped and prayed for relief at 6 weeks, and when that didn't happen, I was very discouraged. But by 12 weeks, things were much better and pretty manageable. So it will happen! You are probably nearing the end of this tunnel, even if you can't quite make out the light yet.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keep doing them, sometimes it takes a while to see the results.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.