Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really Need Help With Breastfeeding Again

Unhappy Really Need Help With Breastfeeding Again

I breastfed my newborn for the first 5 days but then stopped because it was to painful. Now I use a breast pump to get breastmilk for him and feed it to him with a bottle and have also been giving him a pacifier. I really regret using the bottle and he is now 2 weeks and was wondering if I could get him to start breastfeeding again. I've been trying and he doesn't seem to want to latch on. Is there any way I can get him to breastfeed again?

Default Re: Really Need Help With Breastfeeding Again

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! It is definitely possible to get your baby back to the breast. Not guaranteed, but possible. This link covers all the ways I know of to get a baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sure you can!! Mommal gave you a fantastic link. If you have any specific questions about that, come back and let us know.

You may also want to peruse the topics here:
    http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Hope this helps!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

i haven't had this problem, but every one else says use a shield. when my son was first born, i used the shield, then halfway through i would take it off and latch him without it. it took a few times but eventually it worked. goood luck!!!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

I would say you absolutely can! I had LOTS of problems with breastfeeing my son, now 6 months, early on and started using bottles for breastmilk on day 4!

I think a La Leche Leader or a lactation consultant might be most helpful to you, but I can tell you that one thing I did that I feel was invaluable to getting us exclusively on the breast was to offer the breast first at every feeding. Sometimes he refused, sometimes he played, sometimes he latched poorly and eventually he latched well! We also used nipple shields for a long time. I hated them (one more thing to mess with, clean, etc.), but they helped us get where we are now, so I have to say they can be a helpful tool.

For a good couple of weeks our routine was
    1) (attempt) breastfeeding (early on - with shield; later on - without shield)
    2) give bottle (pumped milk) and position him close to the breast and still on Boppy/nursing pillow, make it as much like breastfeeding as possible, including making mama the exclusive feeder
    3) pump for next/future feeding

I will warn you now this cycle was completely exhausting and overwhelming, but so so SO worth it. And a LL Leader or LC might be able to suggest a path back to the breast that is not as demanding.

Keep pumping as you are to keep up your supply and I would say start offering the breast immediately!

You can do it!!!! Plan for success!!!!
    Last edited by @llli*firestar9s; June 2nd, 2011 at 09:08 PM.