Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct maybe?

Default plugged duct maybe?

My son is almost 6 weeks old and Im pretty sure he is going through a growth spurt which seems to have started a few days ago but yesterday I felt like I was nursing him every two hours and he wasnt taking much then falling asleep. Late yesterday during a good long feeding though I noticed that my right breast was still very full on the one side...up towards my arm pit...so I continued to feed on that side and nothing changed. The next few feedings same thing I even tried pupming and only got a little. Then today he seemed to drain it well but Im still tender in that same area. Could that area just be sore from being full so long? He has only emptied that side once so far hopefully he will do it again tonight. Any ideas????

Default Re: plugged duct maybe?

What you describe does seem to match the symptoms of a plugged duct. Some residual soreness is probably normal, but do your best to keep on emptying that breast, and just generally keep an eye on it. If the plug returns or worsens, or you see any combination of increased pain, red patches or streaks on the exterior of the breast, aches, fever, chills, or general "flu-like" feelings, you probably want to talk to your midwife or doctor about the possibility of this being mastitis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had a plugged duct at 3 weeks right after a growth spurt & engorgement. The symptoms were very similar to what you described, and even the location. I got rid of my duct in two days by kneading/massaging the area when I nursed, by doing lots of warm moist compresses, and massaging in the hot shower, plus I took ibuprofen to reduce inflammation. During one feeding, all of a sudden the tender and hard area was not there anymore. The soreness was gone immediately after it unplugged. Perhaps you still have a little bit of a plug?

Thanks so much for the input. I still think Im a little plugged Ive been massaging and Ive used a warm wet wash cloth but not feeling a big difference yet. Ive been starting him on that side every feeding and Ive pumped after a feeding a few times just to empty the breast as much as possible. I see my doctor on monday for my 6 week check up so Ill be asking her about it then even if it does go away. Thanks !