I have perused many of the posts looking for more info to answer my own questions... unfortunately, now I think I only have more questions and am worried I am dealing with several problems. I guess I should call someone local!
But here goes anyway:
Baby is nearly 2 weeks -- my first
1. Everything I had read/learned says feed on demand. BUT My midwife urged me to always strive for 8-10 feedings a day even if I have to wake her up which I pretty much always do have to do. is this normal? She would sleep and sleep if I didn't. I am too worried to NOT do this... (wake her up and feed on this schedule).
2. Her feedings (after waking up!) are anywhere between 18 and 45 minutes. Normal?
3. Left side is the problem side: Latching is difficult and we both get frustrated. Over time, I've learned how to keep very sore nipples at bay by usually offering right side first or switching, etc., but there is still some definite issue here. I read on this forum "lipstick" shape is not desirable and that is what happens. Both positions on the L side are difficult, but football hold is usually slightly better. help....
4. Let down. I have not definitely experienced this on either side (?), but I started "leaking" on R side yesterday and it is much easier to express milk on that side. Not so for the L.
5. She can be fussy on either side at erratic times (or it seems). She may chomp, pull, loosen latch and fuss.
6. Additionally, she will drift off to sleep, sometimes very quickly and is hard to arouse or impossible. Maybe I am just used to her longer feedings and worry she should get more...? when really she doesn't need to? Maybe I should allow her to sleep and then nurse again sooner.
Is it possible for baby to sleep too much???
not sure what to think overall... any input very welcome.