Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dry in the evening, baby hungry - help!

Default Dry in the evening, baby hungry - help!

Hello, I am EBFing my 10 weeks old daughter but lately I am quite dry in the late afternoon and evening and she is hungry. Sometimes I manage to pump during the day and keep some milk for the evening, but my supply is on the low side so when I pump I often have to give her the EBM right after, plus I have a 3 yrs old at home and pumping is not easy. I usually get 30 ml (1 oz) combined or less per pumping session.
    I take fennel tea and started a preparatiom based on goat's rue and ricinus 4ch on suggestion of the midwife, but it is not enough. I let DD nurse whenever she wants and for as long as she wants, and for the moment she is gaining weight and has at least 4 soaking wet (100 ml each) disposable diapers and two bm per day, however her weight gain is slowing down fast and approaching the lower acceptable limit. Same thing for the diapers.

I would like to increase mlk production in the evening before it is too late. I am thinking to take fenugreek and would like to take goat's rue in a more effective form, do you have suggestions on this? I would also like to squeeze in one or two pumping sessions and I am wondering what would be the most effective way.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Default Re: Dry in the evening, baby hungry - help!

How are things going now, mama?

As long as you are nursing on demand, the baby is having the right number of wet and poopy diapers, and you're not taking hormonal birth control, I highly doubt that you have a supply problem. It's very normal for babies to be fussy- sometimes extremely so- in the evenings. There's even a term for it- "evenings-only colic".

Nevertheless, can you tell us a bit ore about your baby's weight gain? Tell us her birth weight, lowest weight, and weight at each checkup.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had oversupply, and I STILL felt dry in the evenings. It's totally normal to feel like your supply is lower in the afternoon/evening. But actually, when your breasts feel empty, your milk is at its highest-fat, richest levels. Of course, that never stopped the evening fussies (we called it "unhappy hour" gotta laugh to keep from crying ). But, it all got easier and better as the baby got older.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

DD had awful unhappy hours in the evening .

Don't worry, I think it will soon get better. Right now it doesn't seem that way, but it will .
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Hello, thanks for he encouragement, I feel better knowing that even mamas with oversupply may feel dry sometimes...DD was 2.4 kg at birth, was down to 2.16 after 1 week (the first 4-5 days was supplemented with formula, mostly due to hospital routine for preemies and low birth weight babies) was back at birth weight at 3 weeks, 3.1 kg at 6 weeks, 3.8 kg at 10 weeks. The last couple of weeks she gained 140-150 grams ( 5oz?) per week, which is still ok but somewhat on the low side and constntly decreasing, before she had much more. The reason why I say she is hungry is that in the evening feeds she does not swallow much, and If I feed her some ebm with th sns she immediately calms down ans is happy.
    Have to stop, be back later