Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not producing enough milk???!

Default Re: Not producing enough milk???!

If you are going to EP, I would suggest renting a hospital-grade pump. You will get a better output in shorter amounts of time. I get to use one occasionally at work, and there is a big difference.

You may only need to use it for a couple of months until your baby starts solids, then you won't feel the pressure to produce so much all the time, kwim?

So that's at least 5-6 sessions per day, by my calculations?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Breast milk is not like formula. You are not going to keep needing more and more and more. I think that in general, they take between 24 and 32 ounces of breastmilk per day from around 6 weeks to a year. At 6 months or so, you'll probably introduce other foods which will help, although I wouldn't expect the baby to eat much.

Things you can do to increase your supply:
    eat oatmeal
    pump more times and/or longer
    take fenugreek, hopefully someone with more experience will come along...
    Make sure you are eating enough food and drinking enough (to thirst) water
    Make sure your pump parts are all still working correctly

Also, I have to say it, sorry - nurse. There is no better way to increase your supply than nursing. There are lots of women here who have been able to get older babies to nurse after EPing - so if you are interested in doing that, you could post and someone (several someones) would be able to provide you support for that.
    There are some moms here who have gotten their baby to nurse after EPing. I'm hoping to do it myself. My cleft baby won't have his palate repair until he's around 9 months. But I sure would rather nurse him. It's easier all around.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lillian.irenes.mommy View Post
    I am using the Ameda Purely Yours pump, and I pump every 2-4 hours during the day (2-3 if I can swing it) and at night I take up to a 6 hour break while she's sleep.
    I would suggest a hospital grade pump and to try doing one session at night if you can stand it until you build up your supply to where you want it to be. Once you get it to where you want, you can slowly move that session to merge with another and collect more milk than you would with that one session (just not doubling the amount, if that makes sense).

Your prolactin levels are highest at night, so if you can pump in the night, or very early in the morning, you can collect a lot of milk. I get in my first pumping of the day enough milk to feed G for about 3/4 of the day. But I worked pretty hard to get to that point by .... getting up to pump during the night until just recently. I just dropped that night session (3 AM) in the last week. But I pumped at 2 then 3 then 4 and now it's 5:30-6 (and I pump at midnight).

The hospital grade pump is amazing. It may take a few days to a week or so to get used to it, so don't give up on it. But it's so much smoother and I get an ounce more with it than I do with a Freestyle, PISA or Lansinoh (same as yours). Compiled over the day, and that's at least an extra feeding.

Also, evaluate your bottle nipples. If they are getting old, the holes start letting more milk out faster. I've replaced my Haberman teats twice now, and my baby is a month older than yours. But a bottle nipple wears out, and changing those may slow the flow back down so your baby has a chance to get the signal that she's full.

At 14 weeks, I was still pumping at least 6-7 times a day. It was not until 16 weeks where I have dropped to 5-6 and was able to maintain the same output of about 40-45 oz a day (I was producing way more than that, but I deliberately backed off on that when I filled my entire deep freeze).

The other thing to maintaining supply is time spent pumping. Make sure you get that 120 minutes every 24 hours.

With fenugreek, you want to take enough that you smell like maple syrup. There are a few other herbs you can try as well, but that's a good place to start.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hospital grade pump. I used an Ameda Purely-Yours and got nowhere with it. It's a lightweight pump for a mama who has an established supply and only needs to pump once or twice a day. It is not a good choice for a mama who needs to pump all day, every day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lillian.irenes.mommy View Post
    I've been pumping exclusively since she was born because she didn't latch. At this point, based on what I've read and the people to whom I've spoken, switching could be very difficult and I'm not sure I really want to try. (I tried until about 8 weeks)
    I EPed for 2 months, and then I tried to put my DS back to the breast - and it worked! It was a *little* painful until the two of us "figured it out," but it was SO worth it. I am so glad that I only have to pump while I am at work now! If pumping ends up being too much (it was for me!), you could always try BFing again, just to see if things have changed.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)