Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!!!

Unhappy Help!!!

I have a well established milk supply and a nursing relationship with my 8 month old that is better than I ever dreamed of. But, she is teething and has a very runny nose and is having an extremely hard time nursing! She will not take a bottle or a cup with breast milk in it and doesn't get much nutrition from solids (she just picks). I don't know what to do, she just lays at my breast and screams and gets more and more frusterated! HELP!!!!

Default Re: Help!!!

It can be SOOO difficult when babies get colds, and teething on top of that--yikes! You can try something to relieve the teething pain (chew on a cold washcloth before nursing, tylenol, etc.). For the running nose you can try a cool mist humidifier, nursing in the bathroom with shower running, saline nose drops, or squirting some breastmilk into baby's nose to help break up the mucous. It may also help to try to nurse in an upright position. Hope your LO is feeling better soon!

I second pp...cold washcloth and have you considered Tylenol?? I was just reading in a different thread that if you drink chamomile tea it will help. Also you could try nursing her once she is asleep??

You mentioned that she won't take milk from a cup. Is that a sippy cup or a regular cup? DS has drunk from a small cup (the size you give medicine in) a couple of times and did well with it. You could also try a medicine dropper or spoon. Hopefully she'll feel better and you can get her back to the breast soon.

Have you suctioned her nose out and used saline spray for babies? I know they make one called little noses and another called Simply Saline. Those really helped when my DD had a runny nose.