Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The look on a doctors face...

Default Re: The look on a doctors face...

It's not that I just love pumping, but on the days I work I am up at 4 am and leave house 4:45. Don't get home til 9 pm. I have a long commute and work 13+ shifts. So I have to pump or I get into a lot of discomfort. My son nurses very frequently on the days I am home.. sometimes 6-8 times. I don't want to prematurely force him into cutting back, I want that to be his decision. He deals with alot of "missing momma" and I can't take that comfort away from him. I don't pump as much as I used to either.

It's not like I have the oppurtunity to feed my baby at 8am before going off to work and then get to nurse again at 5 or so only 8 hours later like a lot of working moms who ditch the pump. I wish I could! Or even just being part time... If i worked part time I would ditch it...
    Last edited by @llli*wreckgoddess; June 4th, 2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wreckgoddess View Post
    It's not that I just love pumping, but on the days I work I am up at 4 am and leave house 4:45. Don't get home til 9 pm. I have a long commute and work 13+ shifts. So I have to pump or I get into a lot of discomfort. My son nurses very frequently on the days I am home.. sometimes 6-8 times. I don't want to prematurely force him into cutting back, I want that to be his decision. He deals with alot of "missing momma" and I can't take that comfort away from him. I don't pump as much as I used to either.

It's not like I have the oppurtunity to feed my baby at 8am before going off to work and then get to nurse again at 5 or so only 8 hours later like a lot of working moms who ditch the pump. I wish I could! Or even just being part time... If i worked part time I would ditch it...

You don't have to justify it here mama, regardless of reason, if it works for you, it's great!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well I just never thought someone would suggest I was demented for still pumping on the LLL forum...
    Kristin

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Well I just never thought someone would suggest I was demented for still pumping on the LLL forum...
    Wow, yeah just saw that. I can't speak for Sarale, but I am almost positive that was tongue in cheek, cuz she thinks you're a rock star for doing it and she hated it. Sorry that may have made you feel bad . I look up to you for that dedication mama!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I know most people hate pumping. And i'm not saying I love it, it's just something I don't feel I have a choice about because of my work schedule. So therefore for me, it's a no-question about it decision. I figure if I was dedicated enough to do it for one year, whats a few more months? I may not have any other kids and would hate to feel guilty for cutting out a large chunk of our nursing relationship... and really, it doesn't take that much extra effort at this point.. it's already part of my routine.
    (If I didn't pump at work, and I worked 3 days in a row.. or 4.. then that would be like 4 days with no nursing sessions for my body and surely my supply would drop/go away)

The word demented just kind of caught me off guard and i was a little taken aback for a minute. I'm used to hearing things like that from formula feeding coworkers/friends.. just not other mamas on here.

I have gotten tons of support off this forum for the last year+ and am so thankful for that. I don't know where else I would have turned at some points. LLL people are amazing!
    Kristin

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Wow, yeah just saw that. I can't speak for Sarale, but I am almost positive that was tongue in cheek, cuz she thinks you're a rock star for doing it and she hated it. Sorry that may have made you feel bad . I look up to you for that dedication mama!
    Totally tongue in cheek. I meant the part. I hate that you thought I was saying something bad. I mean you to feel like the rockstar you are. the dedication you are showing to getting your LO the very best

As for the supply dip I don't know and I totally understand not risking it. DD nurses a lot during the day time and a few days a week I am gone for either 5.5 or 10 hours. The 10 hrs can be uncomfortable towards the end though.
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; June 4th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I don't pump at work for my two year old, but I have a regular 9-5. If I had to occasionally work nights, I would NEED to pump. I totally get it. Plus, pumping is wonderful - lots of breastmilk for your baby.

I had the opposite conversation with my dentist recently:

Dentist (Reading my form): "You're breastfeeding?"
    Me: "Yeah, but you know, my baby is two, so not that frequently."
    Dentist: "The drug we use for sedation is not recommended for nursing mothers."
    Me: "How long does it take to wear off?"
    Dentist: "Ten to twelve hours"
    Me: "Okay."
    Dentist: "You can pump your breastmilk during that time and discard it so that you don't lose your supply."
    Me: "Oh, at two years you really don't have to worry about that. The milk is just there when you need it."
    Dentist: "Really? I didn't know that, my wife nursed our children up until a year."
    Me: "Yeah, that's one reason I'm still nursing - it's a lot more low key than in the early days."
    Dentist: "Good to know."
    Me: "So I'll do the procedure in the morning, since Joe still nurses mostly at night, and it will be no problem going twelve hours."

So there you go!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

That's a hilarious conversation!!! You are a mama!

And, JoMo, how great that your dentist was receptive and not at all rude .

I'm sorry if my post about him possibly being surprised at length of time pumping contributed. I think it's awesome as well, and with Jenna that you are amazing and don't need to justify.

From one medical-professional to another: I hear you on the our-schedule-is-just-different front, and love that you're helping educate those around you!!!

I'm amazed how often I'm embarrassed at the fact that I still pump when I eg work a call shift (so, up to 30h straight, having left the house well before my daughter is awake on the first day...)... at an academic medical center in a liberal city! I'm so glad there are people like you around helping reset the norm.