Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain

Default Weight gain

My LO is 2 weeks old. She was 9 lbs at birth and dropped to 8 lbs 1oz at her first peds appointment. This was 9%. Her MD had her come back in 3 days to make sure she had gained enough weight ( she wanted at least .5 oz/ day). She was up to 8lbs 3 oz (yay!!). Then at our appointment today, she weighed 8 lbs 9oz. She had only gained 6 oz. Kellymom says 5-7 oz/ week and she barely gained that... 6 oz in 9 days. Should I be concerned? She still isn't back to her birth weight (however she was very swollen at birth and in received a lot of fluids during labor which I know can falsely elevate birth weight).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. My ped didn't talk supplementing or anything but does want to see us again in a week. She is having plenty of wet and poop diapers. Thanks in advance, ladies!

Default Re: Weight gain

My DS took a while to get his birth weight back up too. I think as long as you keep an eye on the diapers and the doctor is monitoring his weight, you shouldn't worry. Hopefully at the next visit, the weight will still have increased and the doctor won't have to suggest supplementing.

I did have to supplement with formula for about 2 months, and I somewhat regret that. I think if I had known more about pumping (the right way to do it and how often), I could have been using more milk and less formula. But, the most important thing is that your LO is gaining weight and growing - so that's how I make it okay in my head. :-P

Just make sure that you are BFing as much as possible. Don't try to be spacing it out and making a schedule. You can't overfeed her at your breast, so just let her nurse all day long if that's what she wants!

Good luck to you!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

agree with PP. Make sure your little one is getting plenty of wet diapers. Also, make sure she's being weighed on the same scale. Does everything else seem to be going well?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks for the replies! Everything else is going really well! She does get sleepy at some feeds but she is feeding at least 10x/ day and her output is great! She is very satisfied after her feeds and is otherwise doing great. Thankfully my pediatrician is being ok about it and didn't suggest supplementing. I'm just hoping that her sleepy first 10 days or so is the reason for the slow weight gain. These 1 st few weeks of breastfeeding can be a bit stressful... They were with my son too but for different reasons. He was born at 35 weeks and was slow to gain weight too. I successfully BF him for 12 1/2 months so I know we can do it!

with the PPs. Keep an eye on the diapers, make sure your LO always gets weighedon the same scale, and let us know if anything else seems off. Like, does the baby rapidly drift off to sleep at the breast, are her poops green, is nursing at all painful?

ETA: looks like we were posting at the same time! Sounds like things are going well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"