Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't take bottle

Default Baby won't take bottle

My daughter is 2 months and I am trying to get her to take formula, she won't. I am desperate. She eats constantly. I do not get a break from nursing long enough to do anything. Since she has been born I have not been able to pay bills, go to the grocery, attend any of my older childrens' ball games. Nothing. If I leave, never for more than an hour, I come home to my baby red faced and screaming to be fed. My other kids have, at times waited an hour or more so that I could fix their lunch or fill their sippy cups I stay at home with the kids and my bf works. He also attends school in the evenings. I do not get a break. I have been torn between nursing and formula feeding for weeks. I did get my daughter to take a bottle of formula for 2 days and did nurse occasionally during the day and exclusively at night. I REALLY wanted to be able to continue nursing but just give her bottles of formula so that I could take care of errands, the other children and occasionally get a workout in for myself but she now refuses the bottle. I am desperate for some help, I don't think I can do this for a whole year. Please someone give me some helpful advice.

Default Re: Baby won't take bottle

It gets better Even if you don't change anything, it will get better. A 4 month old is worlds easier to nurse than a 2 month old. A 6 month old is easier still. They're faster at nursing, even if they still eat frequently. And, a lot of babies eat less frequently as they get bigger.

In the meantime, if you can nurse in a moby wrap or a ring sling, that would let you take care of your older kids at home.

It sounds like you aren't comfortable nursing in public. Have you considered a nursing cover? I found a ring sling more convenient when DS was little. But, lots of mammas like nursing covers.

ETA: I think it's really common for breastfed babies to reject bottles. DS was happy to take one from about 2-4 months and then stopped. He went something like 8 hours without eating much of anything one day while I was at work. After that, we discovered he'd take a beginner sippy cup. Bottles are kind of meant to imitate mama, and a lot of breastfed babies aren't willing to take an imitation when they know the real thing is available. I think some mamas have luck with feeding babies from a (very small) normal cup.

Are you able to pump or hand express some milk instead of using formula? She'd probably like your milk much better than formula.
    Last edited by @llli*TimsMom; June 1st, 2011 at 07:26 PM.

I agree with PP.

I would recommend wearing your baby in a sling that you can nurse in. My son needed to nurse constantly. I let go of taking care of the house, showering everyday, and cooking dinner for awhile. Workouts are something I used to do 6 days a week but during this time his needs came first. Eventually I was able to squeeze in quick showers, find a way to throw something together for dinner, and even workout for a few minutes. All in good time, none of it really matters in comparison to his needs.

I know it is very hard when you have other children. My older son has had to help out a lot and eat a lot of pizza and chicken nuggets. When he gets frustrated we talk about how as a family we take care of one another and I ask him who needs the most taking care of right now. He always understands when I say it this way.

I would say invest in a good way to wear your baby so that you can do a few things and help with your other kids.

Good luck.

Great advice from the PPs.

If you are truly committed to getting your baby to take a bottle of formula, I suggest trying the following:
    - have someone other than you offer the formula, since babies tend not to want take bottles from mom, since they know she has the real thing!
    - try different bottle brands, and different nipples on the bottles
    - try bottles of breastmilk rather than formula- I took the pepsi challenge and formula tastes nasty compared to mama's milk!

If you can hang in there and keep on nursing, in just a few short months your baby will be able to eat solids while you're out and about, no need for formula!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"