Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to bottle feed?

Default How much to bottle feed?

My mother-in-law babysat my 5 week old for about 2 hours this afternoon while I took my older daughter to the dentist. She had nursed about 1.5 hrs before I left. I left 2 2.5oz bottles for her, not really expecting her to need both of them. When I got back my MIL said that she had eaten BOTH of them! Is that normal? It just seems like so much for such a little baby!

Default Re: How much to bottle feed?

Well, maybe. If you figure on 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour since she had last nursed, that's not so unreasonable. It was 3.5 hours since she had nursed and you came home, so she could have needed 5 ounces in that amount of time.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Ok, I really wasn't sure :-) I EP'd for my older daughter and she didn't take 5oz at a feed until she was probably 6 months old! So, I suppose that's why it seemed so off to me. Thanks :-)

Oh! Did she drink all 5 ounces at once???? That does seem like too much. I guess I thought she drank one bottle and then had the other one 90 minutes or so later??
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Well, not all at once...but not spaced very far apart. Basically she ate the first one, still acted hungry, then ate the 2nd one once she got it ready.

I agree with you that it seems to be too much. Sometimes my DS acts hungry when he really just needs to burp. And other times, all he needs is a little distraction and then he realizes that he's not really hungry. If your MIL (or someone else) watches her again, they should try to walk her around, take her outside, etc before offering the second bottle so quickly.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    I agree with you that it seems to be too much. Sometimes my DS acts hungry when he really just needs to burp. And other times, all he needs is a little distraction and then he realizes that he's not really hungry. If your MIL (or someone else) watches her again, they should try to walk her around, take her outside, etc before offering the second bottle so quickly.
    Its easy to confuse hunger cues, especailly if the care giver is not always around the baby. I'm sure grandma will get better as your lo organizes their cues more!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Does seem a bit much, but not abnormal because it's *so* easy to comfort a little one with a bottle of mama's milk. Just like PPs said, caregiver's don't usually look for another way to comfort first and go straight for the bottle.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.