Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soups and Stews, Oh My!

Default Soups and Stews, Oh My!

Tonight's vegetarian chili is stewing in the crock-pot, smelly amazing, but I just started wondering how I'm going to actually feed it to DD. She usually feeds herself, and obviously she's not old enough to handle her own spoon yet (8.5 months.) So should I just put some of the solid chunks on her tray? Should I dip a cracker in the liquid for her to try the broth (she likes strong, spicy flavors)? Would it be okay to go ahead and try spoon feeding her a bit? How do your BLS babies handle fluid foods until they can use utensils?

I'm also thinking of the wonderful creamy vegetable soups I make later in the summer that don't have any solid chunks in them. DD must have garden-fresh tomato soup , but how?
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Default Re: Soups and Stews, Oh My!

She might love the beans and broth in the chili. I'd do exactly what you are thinking of doing...spoonfeeding some of the broth and some of the solid stuff on her tracy

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: Soups and Stews, Oh My!

Let me try this again stupid internet...

I put just a bit of broth in ds2's bowl mostly chunky veggies. Then I spoon feed him stuff that he can't get himself. If we're having a chunk-less soup I feed him and put crackers, veggies, shredded meat, etc on his tray to keep him occupied between bites.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!