Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How hard do you work at pumping?

Default Re: How hard do you work at pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I do have to pay attention to pumping and do compressions the entire time, or I don't get anything out. And I generally get between 8 and 10 ounces in my first session of the day, so it's not a low supply thing, for me.

I am jealous of the folks that can pump hands free.
    I have a hands free bra that I use religiously, but I came across studies that actually show that moms NEED to be doing compressions. The one study looked at moms with babies in the NICU and divided them into groups. One did compressions. One did not. At the end of 12 weeks, the moms in the no compression group -- who relied strictly on the pump's suction to empty their breasts -- has significantly, significantly less milk. Like some had lost their supply. The other group had more mothers with adequate supply of milk at 12 weeks.

There are other factors, obviously, that impact supply than just breast compressions. You have to be pumping often enough, but the compressions help completely empty the breast, which helps production.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    It's actually pretty common to feel more full after pumping than when you're done nursing. babies are MUCH more effective at emptying your breast than the pump. So don't take the 2-3 oucnes you're getting as an indication for what baby is getting.

I also noticed that you said you didn't like the hospital grade becuase you couldn't see what was going on. That might actually be a GOOD thing for you. Sounds like you have a little pumping anxiety... I would suggest looking AWAY from the pump. Read a book, sit at the computer, but don't look at how much milk you're producing. I just find that hampers let downs.
    I have found I get more milk if I distract myself at the beginning and then move to compressions.

That said, I don't think pumping is just sitting there and letting it all fall out. It is work.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I have a hands free bra that I use religiously, but I came across studies that actually show that moms NEED to be doing compressions. The one study looked at moms with babies in the NICU and divided them into groups. One did compressions. One did not. At the end of 12 weeks, the moms in the no compression group -- who relied strictly on the pump's suction to empty their breasts -- has significantly, significantly less milk. Like some had lost their supply. The other group had more mothers with adequate supply of milk at 12 weeks.
    I wondered about that. We didn't have the cash to get a hands-free bra so I attempted to make one at home from a sports bra. It didn't do well at all - so I was left holding my flanges the whole time. Sometimes I could prop one of the bottles on the desk just right and do compressions with the other hand, but not always. Note to self: next time put a hands-free bra on the necessity list.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*three-wishes View Post
    I wondered about that. We didn't have the cash to get a hands-free bra so I attempted to make one at home from a sports bra. It didn't do well at all - so I was left holding my flanges the whole time. Sometimes I could prop one of the bottles on the desk just right and do compressions with the other hand, but not always. Note to self: next time put a hands-free bra on the necessity list.
    I never needed a hands free bra. . .though maybe it is because I have small breasts?

I just sit Indian style and have my thighs hold everything.

Also, if I have the suction all the way up, it holds them pretty well. Although not everyone can take that!

I found the hands free bra holds everything on pretty well. I also have a sports pumping bra, but it doesn't support the bottles very well. I love the hands-free bra because I can sit on the edge of the bed and pump, I can pump in the car, and I can pump at work where I don't have a desk. I can sit on the couch in a more comfortable position. I can sit at the computer and pump for a few minutes hands-free. I don't have to hold the bottles or rely on suction -- I have found that compressions sometimes break the suction, and the bottles would fall. This old lady can't sit tailor style I'm not super small any longer, but I'm far from huge cup-size.

I also use 8 oz bottles. Those get kind of heavy when full, and the hands free bra supports them better.

You can buy a Simple Wishes bra for $35 at Target. They are extremely adjustable.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with Susan. I love my Simple Wishes bra. It's perfect!

It's a bit cheaper on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-.../dp/B002968T5G
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    I never needed a hands free bra. . .though maybe it is because I have small breasts?

I just sit Indian style and have my thighs hold everything.

Also, if I have the suction all the way up, it holds them pretty well. Although not everyone can take that!
    Not sure on that Mama. I was able to achieve the type of position you're talking about on occasion but was never able to do it long because I had to kind of hunch over to do it. But yeah - usually had the suction all the way up! Work it, girls! lol!

I suppose I am hunched over! Lol, I just didn't notice because I'm usually hunched over my laptop while pumping anyway LLL forums gets me in teh mood

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    But if you need it now, run to Target. However, ours usually just has the smaller sizes in stock because they sell out of the larger ones faster.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    I suppose I am hunched over! Lol, I just didn't notice because I'm usually hunched over my laptop while pumping anyway LLL forums gets me in teh mood

I think I know what you are talking about - having to work hard at the pump. I have one boob that is a piece of cake to empty and the other one I have to do lots of compressions and wait a while to have the milk jets stop. I don't have that much time to sit around pumping b/c I have to scald after each pumping so my supply has fallen a little on the lazy side. I'm trying to make up for it by nursing more on that side at home and that seems to help.

I use the Simple Wishes bra and love it. So nice to have it there holding the cups in place while I do compressions.
    Tamara -
    Mom to Lydia born 2/28/11