Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How hard do you work at pumping?

Default Re: How hard do you work at pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    what kind of pump is it? I think if you hit the letdown again around five-7 minutes, you might get the milk out faster. Worth a shot

What are you taking for fenugreek (howmuch)
    It's a Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I had tried out a hospital-grade pump a while ago, and I hated it. It was too strong and the horns were cloudy, so I couldn't see what was happening.

I'll try to give it more attention and switch back to letdown more frequently. Thanks for the tip!

I'm not taking enough fenugreek. I keep forgetting to take the pills in the afternoon and evening, so I only take it in the morning.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Also - when I am done pumping, I still feel like I have milk in my breasts. It feels more firm/heavy than when I'm done BFing DS. I think I'm just a lazy pumper and I get distracted by my computer...

I'm trying to not have to work more than an 8-hour day though, so I take my laptop with me, so that I can work at the same time...
    ~ Megan

It's actually pretty common to feel more full after pumping than when you're done nursing. babies are MUCH more effective at emptying your breast than the pump. So don't take the 2-3 oucnes you're getting as an indication for what baby is getting.

That said, have you tried hand expressing AFTER pumping? i sometimes found that I could get another ounce hand expressing since the milk was already there - sometimes it seemed like my boobs would just not let any more milk out with the pump.

When I took fenugreek, what i found effective was to take 3 pills four times a day. You know you're taking enough when your pee/sweat smell like maple syrup. It's a pain in the butt and it makes you gassy, but it's worth it. I also made sure to empty my breasts every 2-3 hours at the beginning of taking fenugreek becuase it works best when you're emptying more frequently (around the clock if you can)

I also noticed that you said you didn't like the hospital grade becuase you couldn't see what was going on. That might actually be a GOOD thing for you. Sounds like you have a little pumping anxiety... I would suggest looking AWAY from the pump. Read a book, sit at the computer, but don't look at how much milk you're producing. I just find that hampers let downs.

Keep up the good work!!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    That said, have you tried hand expressing AFTER pumping? i sometimes found that I could get another ounce hand expressing since the milk was already there - sometimes it seemed like my boobs would just not let any more milk out with the pump.
    I tried once, and it kind of hurt my wrists, lol! I'll have to find a video to make sure that I am doing it right.

When I took fenugreek, what i found effective was to take 3 pills four times a day. You know you're taking enough when your pee/sweat smell like maple syrup. It's a pain in the butt and it makes you gassy, but it's worth it. I also made sure to empty my breasts every 2-3 hours at the beginning of taking fenugreek becuase it works best when you're emptying more frequently (around the clock if you can)
    I'm taking some kind of Lactate Support pill (it's at home, so I can't remember exactly what it is), which has some other stuff in it too (Marshmellow Root is one thing I remember). The bottle says to take 1 pill 3 times a day. Do you think I should just take pure fenugreek instead?

I also noticed that you said you didn't like the hospital grade becuase you couldn't see what was going on. That might actually be a GOOD thing for you. Sounds like you have a little pumping anxiety... I would suggest looking AWAY from the pump. Read a book, sit at the computer, but don't look at how much milk you're producing. I just find that hampers let downs.
    I'm not so much looking to see how *much* I am producing - I have been trying to not worry about that. I like to see what is happening though, because it helps me know when/where to be compressing. Does that make sense? I feel like if I move my hands around, more milk comes out. I should be wanting to make it spray - right? I do get a little up-tight about things though - it's always been difficult for me to relax. It's not like I'm making myself crazy though - I just like to be in control.
    ~ Megan

No joke, pumping is work! I pumped until my LO turned 12 months old. Hang in there. It was killer, but in my opinion it was *totally* worth it for us.

Excellent work taking care of your LO Mama!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

i feel like im doing permanent damage with the compressions. What do you ladies think?

I'm just so nervous about not having enough that I squeeze very hard. Should I back off a bit or is this normal?

I am confused as to why you cant see how much you are pumping or whats going on when you pump with a Hosp grade pump. I pumped for 11 months with a hosp grade pump and was able to see the milk as it sprayed out and as it fell into the bottles.

I also had to be a hands on pumper...I found that moving the horns around stimulated more milk. Also, if I was slowing down or not producing anymore for a session, I would move the horns around, like pull on them slightly and move them around(not take them off and move them), that would always help remove more milk. I also sat thru 2 letdowns always!

Hang in there!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    I am confused as to why you cant see how much you are pumping or whats going on when you pump with a Hosp grade pump. I pumped for 11 months with a hosp grade pump and was able to see the milk as it sprayed out and as it fell into the bottles.
    It was just the bottles/horns/etc that fit the pump that I had rented. The plastic was cloudy instead of clear. My personal pump came with clear plastic stuff, so it's really easy to see what's happening. If I wanted to rent the hospital pump again, I'd have to see if I could buy clear accessories that fit with it.
    ~ Megan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    i feel like im doing permanent damage with the compressions. What do you ladies think?

I'm just so nervous about not having enough that I squeeze very hard. Should I back off a bit or is this normal?
    I squeeze very hard too. I don't think that you can do damage, but I don't really know. Does it hurt you when you do it? I figure that if I am not feeling pain, everything will be okay.
    ~ Megan

I don't think you are doing any damage either...I don't know what you have to do to actually crush your milk ducts...but I doubt it can be done by your own hand.

Way too lazy for formula