Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How hard do you work at pumping?

Default How hard do you work at pumping?

I am feeling like pumping is so much work! Is that the case for other people too? I am connected to the pump for about a half hour and I only get between 2-3 ounces... which is fine, I suppose... but it's not like I can just sit here and let the pump do the work. I have to constantly be massaging/compressing and switching between cycles on the pump. Is that how it is for others too? It would be so nice if the milk would just flow out by itself, lol!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Default Re: How hard do you work at pumping?

That's what I do too. It's worth it to me because I don't want my child to get formula. Ever.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I EP'd for 14.5 months for my twin boys. (Well, they did nurse for a while before their reflux got too bad -- but I still pumped after nursing sessions . . .) For me, I didn't see it all as work at all, not the hooking up to the pump, the compressions, the constant bagging and freezing milk, etc. It was just something I chose to do and I stuck with it. I know that other people have complained about doing it, just like people who say that BF is harder than FF or CD is harder than sposies. It's all your perspective. If my boys (and 3 yr old) hadn't gotten to be so mobile and a handful, I would still be pumping to this day.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    I am feeling like pumping is so much work! Is that the case for other people too? I am connected to the pump for about a half hour and I only get between 2-3 ounces... which is fine, I suppose... but it's not like I can just sit here and let the pump do the work. I have to constantly be massaging/compressing and switching between cycles on the pump. Is that how it is for others too? It would be so nice if the milk would just flow out by itself, lol!
    That seems like a long time to pump and only get 2-3 ounces total. How long have you been using the pump and what kind of pump is it? It might be worthwhile to replace some of the pump parts, like the valves or membranes.

Have you tried eating oatmeal or taking fenugreek?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

that seems like a long time to me, too - are you actually getting anything substantial after the first 20 minutes? It's more effective to pump more frequently for shorter durations.

Are you using a pump where you can change the speeds? On mine there's a letdown phase and an expression phase. Once the initial letdown is over(milk slows coming out) I press that button again to stimulate another let down. Are you doing this?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I bought the pump (Medela PISA) at the end of January. The valves/membranes are much newer (probably 2-3 weeks old). I think it's a combination of 1). Being used to the pump, 2). Not having enough milk (maybe??), 3). Getting distracting by other things (ie working) and not putting my full attention to pumping.

I am getting sprays of milk out that whole time; it just doesn't seem to add up very fast.

I am eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek pills. I also do switch between let-down and expression on the pump.

FYI, I'm not complaining about pumping by any means! I am glad that I'm doing it. I was just wondering if other people have to pay so much attention to it in order to get output.
    ~ Megan

I do have to pay attention to pumping and do compressions the entire time, or I don't get anything out. And I generally get between 8 and 10 ounces in my first session of the day, so it's not a low supply thing, for me.

I am jealous of the folks that can pump hands free.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Are you getting enough to meet your baby's needs?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    I bought the pump (Medela PISA) at the end of January. The valves/membranes are much newer (probably 2-3 weeks old). I think it's a combination of 1). Being used to the pump, 2). Not having enough milk (maybe??), 3). Getting distracting by other things (ie working) and not putting my full attention to pumping.

I am getting sprays of milk out that whole time; it just doesn't seem to add up very fast.

I am eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek pills. I also do switch between let-down and expression on the pump.

FYI, I'm not complaining about pumping by any means! I am glad that I'm doing it. I was just wondering if other people have to pay so much attention to it in order to get output.
    what kind of pump is it? I think if you hit the letdown again around five-7 minutes, you might get the milk out faster. Worth a shot

What are you taking for fenugreek (howmuch)
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you getting enough to meet your baby's needs?
    Yes and no. I am usually 2-4 ounces short for what I pump at work, but I have no problem making up for that in the middle of the night or the morning.
    ~ Megan